Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I quite like RTS games but never played Halo and don't own a 360 so not any attraction for me. There are WAY better RTS games on PC and this year has some epic releases especially. But Stormrise for 360/PS3 (and PC) looks like it might be alright. As far as RTS on a console goes. The PC version is going to be DX10 only.

IGN: Stormrise Preview

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 8, 2009, 07:18 PM
Top Prospect

"Lately, however, there has been a positive trend with the console RTS, or perhaps more accurately, RTT or real-time tactical games. Developers have discovered that simplified gameplay can lessen the impact of the less-precise control schemes, so by removing base-building and resource management, and putting a much heavier focus on combat, the game becomes much more playable. Ultimately, however, the lack of depth in such an approach means that many players tire of the game quickly."

This is why I hate when developers take a good idea for an RTS, and make it for a console to. They need to simplify it to the point where any casual can play it, which ruins its potential.
Old March 8, 2009, 07:46 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Stormrise is from Creative Assembly which means three things:

- The cover art will be dreadful
- This is their first RTS so it will be either dreadful or the Next Big Thing. There is no middle ground for CA.
- The sound effects will suck
Old March 8, 2009, 10:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

- This is their first RTS so it will be either dreadful or the Next Big Thing. There is no middle ground for CA.
Lol well there ya go. As I said it's aimed at console players. Releasing it for DX10 only on PC... they might as well not even bother imo. Big mistake. <25% of PC gamers are running DX10 systems according to Steam. Only one of my comps is DX10, so I won't be buying it, that's for sure.

On another note... I would probably buy this.

STALIN VS. MARTIANS

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 8, 2009, 11:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:

I've dabbled with it, and honestly, for a console RTS, it's truly not bad, nothing great mind you, but fairly enjoyable. Tactic wise and what not, honestly reminds me of older RTS's, and I huge problem was the fact it doesn't mentioning any of the "advanced" buttons do, they seriously don't as much as tell you that you can switch among unit type with a press of a button.

Defiently wouldn't call it bad, but for that matter wouldn't call it good. It really is the middle ground, and quite decent considering it's their first attempt at a RTS, let along for a console.

Old March 9, 2009, 05:55 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

To be honest with you, I think the best console RTS was the Playstation port of the original Command and Conquer. It was more than decent and controlled amazingly.
Old March 9, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

why the hell are you people complaining about someone's views on the game? The Truth is harsh sometimes but that doesn't mean you don't say it. The original poster asked what people thought of the game and he responded.

and none of the Halo games hold a flame near pc games in general and RTS on consoles really DO NOT WORK
Old March 9, 2009, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
To be honest with you, I think the best console RTS was the Playstation port of the original Command and Conquer. It was more than decent and controlled amazingly.
Funny you mention that as my bud has Red Alert for PS1 and swears it is fantastic. He was a little shocked to find out it is a port and not a console first title.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old March 9, 2009, 02:54 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Lol well there ya go. As I said it's aimed at console players. Releasing it for DX10 only on PC... they might as well not even bother imo. Big mistake. <25% of PC gamers are running DX10 systems according to Steam. Only one of my comps is DX10, so I won't be buying it, that's for sure.

On another note... I would probably buy this.

STALIN VS. MARTIANS
I watched a trailer for that Stalin vs Martians game, and all I can say after is... wat?
Old March 9, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Did you read any of the copy on the homepage of their website, lol. I feel much better under The Stalin's command. :)

Quote:
Stalin is anything but boring and it looks pretty like schoolgirl with a kitten. Can you ask for more?

The martians suddenly land somewhere in Siberia and attack the glorious people of Holy Mother Russia. It is a hard time for USSR as you might know from the history books if you ever attended school. The situation is really ****** up...

Well, that's it. Under the Stalin's command we must take control over Red Army forces and kick some alien ass. What shocks the most is that the martian forces look like a gay parade of Nintendo-styled cartoonish creatures.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE