Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   Quake Live Open Beta (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/15226-quake-live-open-beta.html)

Cheator February 25, 2009 11:04 AM

Quake Live Open Beta

Anyone else waiting for their confirmation email? I waited and waited last night but it never came... I've requested an email 3 times but still nothing, and I know its not being deleted or put in the spam fodler since I host the email, I can see all the email im recieving.

enaberif February 25, 2009 11:09 AM

beta is no longer.

go to the site and you can join for free.

Chilly February 25, 2009 11:17 AM

Did anyone read the EULA? I say this posted on another forum and its been confirmed by a few other members. Frankly you NEED to read this, its down right scary.

Quote:

Licensee further acknowledges and accepts that PunkBuster software may be considered invasive. Licensee understands that PunkBuster software inspects and reports information about the computer on which it is installed to other connected computers and Licensee agrees to allow PunkBuster software to inspect and report such information about the computer on which Licensee installs PunkBuster software. Licensee understands and agrees that the information that may be inspected and reported by PunkBuster software includes, but is not limited to, Licensee's Internet Protocol Address, devices and any files residing on the hard-drive and in the memory of the computer on which PunkBuster software is installed. Licensee acknowledges and agrees that if Licensee does not want Licensor to collect and process such information, Licensee should not use the PunkBuster software. Further, Licensee consents to allow PunkBuster software to transfer actual screenshots taken of Licensee's computer during the operation of PunkBuster software for possible publication. Licensee understands that the purpose and goal of PunkBuster is to ensure a cheat-free environment for all participants in online games. Licensee agrees that the invasive nature of PunkBuster software is necessary to meet this purpose and goal. Licensee agrees that any harm or lack of privacy resulting from the installation and use of PunkBuster software is not as valuable to Licensee as the potential ability to play interactive online games with the benefits afforded by using PunkBuster software.
Basically you're signing your rights away when you run it, they can collect any information about any of your hardware, software even whats on your harddrive! Until they change their stance I'm staying far, FAR way from this game.

bojangles February 25, 2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilly (Post 155596)
Did anyone read the EULA? I say this posted on another forum and its been confirmed by a few other members. Frankly you NEED to read this, its down right scary.

Basically you're signing your rights away when you run it, they can collect any information about any of your hardware, software even whats on your harddrive! Until they change their stance I'm staying far, FAR way from this game.

That's just punkbuster being itself. It has been doing that forever. COD4's punkbuster does the exact same thing. CAL's ACS utility also checks files that are running. Same thing with Valve's Anti Cheat program. It's to ensure that nobody is cheating. If they've taken any information from you that wasn't necessary they'd be in deep trouble. I'm pretty sure that the program only accesses programs that are running when punkbuster is on, and continues to monitor any processes that are initiated during the time PB is on as well. That's what happens when you play games that have anti-cheat software integrated in it.

Cheator February 25, 2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 155590)
beta is no longer.

go to the site and you can join for free.

No its an open beta now, but it doesn't matter anyway since I signed up yesterday when it was opened up and I haven't gotten anything.

enaberif February 25, 2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheator (Post 155614)
No its an open beta now, but it doesn't matter anyway since I signed up yesterday when it was opened up and I haven't gotten anything.

Hmm well considering how flooded the servers are.. doesn't surprise me.

Thund3rball February 25, 2009 12:18 PM

Woot get pwned for free in an 8 year old game, I'm in! lol

bojangles February 25, 2009 12:55 PM

I managed to play last night, even though I was supposed to be studying :(. Man, I was so addicted, even though I sucked so bad. When I first joined I had the huge problem of the training program at the beginning, where I had to play Crash over and over again (BUG NOW FIXED!). We were only supposed to do it once to play the actual game. But man, it's easy to play her on expert, but playing online with people was a totally different level beyond my playing capability. I sucked so bad lol. Highly addictive and great for playing at school!

enaberif February 25, 2009 02:57 PM

Well I thought I'd play again.. but uh.. are they so retarded they can't setup decent servers and need to QUE people?

Cheator February 25, 2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 155750)
Well I thought I'd play again.. but uh.. are they so retarded they can't setup decent servers and need to QUE people?

You missed the slashdot article... they're inundated by players, they're response was much more than they expected.