Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2009, 09:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 of 7 View Post
So, it must be pretty much a whole new game with a file size that big, are there lots of new levels or is it all just video upgrades?
No it's really just a graphics face lift for the original HL2 game(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by donimo View Post
does it really need 4gb of ram?
Well a poke around forum posts would suggest it is definitely recommended as the mod is going to be loading HUGE textures into memory. O.O

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 24, 2009, 04:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I still haven't gotten around to playing the hl episodes yet. Maybe I'll order them this weekend and dl the mod. Has anyone here tried it out yet? I've checked out some of the screnshots and it looks pretty good.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old February 24, 2009, 04:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i just tried it out and so far it's pretty impressive. One word of note i tried to play it with AA maxed out which was somthing crazy like 16x. and my system puked on outside areas. I took AA off and it runs very smoothly and looks pretty cool. Also make sure you have lot's of HDD space as this mod takes up at least 10GB once it's installed.

Old February 24, 2009, 09:38 PM
Top Prospect

My absolute all time favorite game ... I play it about once a year (all the way through & all expansions) and it's always a hoot.

What's the latest news on a potential Half Life 3 or at least a new expansion?
Old February 24, 2009, 10:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well I was crossing my fingers for Ep3 release this fall. No news for or against. And so I wait ...

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 24, 2009, 10:57 PM

My System Specs

The end of Episode 2 is the absolute most fun I've had gaming in my life. It is so intense. I cannot wait till episode 3.
Old February 25, 2009, 07:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Agreed! I was running over hunters with the car, jumping out, launching sticky bombs at the striders, detonating them, gettin back in, more hunters, get more bombs, rinse repeat. It was fast, intense and I must have played it over 3 times in a row just for the fun of it!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old February 25, 2009, 08:55 AM
Allstar

funny, even though there are graphic updates and I've sure as hell got a better system than the last time I ran it, I haven't felt the need to download the updates, it's all about the gameplay.
Old February 25, 2009, 09:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
funny, even though there are graphic updates and I've sure as hell got a better system than the last time I ran it, I haven't felt the need to download the updates, it's all about the gameplay.
try the following.

1. Use a 30" lcd at 2560x1600
2. crank everything to the max

i tried that with my 9800gx2 and it puked when the AA was cranked to 16x.

Old February 25, 2009, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Of course it's about the game play. But if you've seen it as intended once or more why not put a different zing into it? Personally I love graphic mods. If I am going to play an old game again I usually hunt down a graphic mod for it. Thief 3, Quake 4, Doom 3, Far Cry, HL, HL2 are some I have played with mods. Just another reason why PC games are so awesome. The mod community.

Actually on my laptop I am playing through HL1 again. I have been playing it for a while as I am taking my time. I only play if I don't have enough time to make it through a mission in DOW1. I'm on Xen now (I don't really like Xen). I am playing the HL1 Source version though. Not really a huge leap from the original but as said, just a little extra zing. ;)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE