Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2009, 11:34 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Ya load times are crazy in the demo. Even starting the game takes WAY too long. I mean hit launch and go make a coffee. Grind your beans, boil your water, etc...

I haven't played a TW game before, just watched my buddy play Shogun TW before my head hit the desk (most boring game to watch). The combat style in this seems slow paced, which is alright. Kind of like a relaxing game of chess. I'll probably pick it up when it gets cheaper. I have many other games to play still.
Yea I wasn't a big fan of Shogun. Play Medieval 2 Total War. It is by far, my favourite of the series. It is extremely well done. Youtube some gameplay of it, you wont be disappointed; the battles are amazing.
Old March 2, 2009, 11:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know what people are talking about for load times. It takes less then 30 seconds to load a battle. It is less then COH for me.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 2, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by decivox View Post
Yea I wasn't a big fan of Shogun. Play Medieval 2 Total War. It is by far, my favourite of the series. It is extremely well done. Youtube some gameplay of it, you wont be disappointed; the battles are amazing.

Oh for sure I have seen some Medieval TW vids. It does look impressive and if I picked up an older TW game it would likely be that one.

On another note I bought Stronghold Crusader fro $10 this weekend and started playing through it as well (man I have like 4 games on the go atm, lol). Graphics are of course terrible but the gameplay is quite good. A really great combination of castle sim/rts. And there must be like 40-50 levels in this game O.O. Not too mention there is an expansion and tons of mods too.

If you like city building and RTS and don't mind old graphics, Stronghold Crusader is really addictive!

Edit: There is also online MP and I think you can play co-op skirmishes too, like 2v2 AI.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 2, 2009, 11:47 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Oh for sure I have seen some Medieval TW vids. It does look impressive and if I picked up an older TW game it would likely be that one.

On another note I bought Stronghold Crusader fro $10 this weekend and started playing through it as well (man I have like 4 games on the go atm, lol). Graphics are of course terrible but the gameplay is quite good. A really great combination of castle sim/rts. And there must be like 40-50 levels in this game O.O. Not too mention there is an expansion and tons of mods too.

If you like city building and RTS and don't mind old graphics, Stronghold Crusader is really addictive!

Edit: There is also online MP and I think you can play co-op skirmishes too, like 2v2 AI.
Haha I picked up that game a few weeks ago for $10 at Futuresnot aswell. I mean, it isnt comparable at all to any Total War game, but it is a fun RTS; I mean, for $10 you can go wrong
Old March 2, 2009, 11:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by decivox View Post
Haha I picked up that game a few weeks ago for $10 at Futuresnot aswell. I mean, it isnt comparable at all to any Total War game, but it is a fun RTS; I mean, for $10 you can go wrong

Nice! Now that's funny. Amazing how some old games manage to hold on. My bud got me into this one. Aside from STW this is the only other game he raves about. And his 8 yr old son just loves it too. The kid is pretty damn good at it too.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 3, 2009, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Multiplayer Campaign not available with this release. Coming in a patch... but when? And how is it going to work? "We're not sure yet" Read Interview Here

I don't know about you guys but I am loving co-op RTS gaming. So if they can figure out a nice MP system in this game that isn't a snore fest waiting for the other guy to take their turn... I'm in! *crosses fingers*

Quote:
The grand strategy game Empire: Total War ships today and should be in stores tomorrow. Among the features promised by the developers at Creative Assembly is support of playing the grand strategic campaign as a head-to-head multiplayer game. For instance, I might be France, you might be England, and we might spend a hundred virtual years tussling over worlds Old and New. Heady stuff, that. But this isn't going to be part of the release version. Instead, it will be a patch. And based on an interview in PC Format, I'd say the multiplayer campaign is nowhere near to being ready. The interviewer raises some good questions about how the epic game might work when there are two human players thrown into the mix of squabbling nations. Creative Assembly producer Mark Sutherns mostly shrugs and says things like "we're looking into it", "we're considering it", "it might be an option", and "we won't know until later". When a developer talks in terms this vague, you can bet the idea isn't going to see the light of public availability any time soon.
So if you're an Empire: Total War fan, resign yourself for a while to playing against whatever AI Creative Assembly has managed this time.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old March 3, 2009, 10:52 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I don't know what people are talking about for load times. It takes less then 30 seconds to load a battle. It is less then COH for me.
Your i7 is > my Opteron
Old March 3, 2009, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

does anyone have any ideas on how to make this demo launch?
Old March 3, 2009, 12:12 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I would say to erinstall the game files through Steam.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
does anyone have any ideas on how to make this demo launch?
How far do you get after clicking launch? Mine seems to sit on a black screen with logos and a paragraph of text for what seems 5 minutes or more. Then the game menu finally shows up. It's utterly agonizing to want to just play a quick bout and see what this game is like. Load times for tutorials and missions are stupid long too as noted earlier.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE