Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 17, 2009, 03:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Cool Warhammer 40k: Dawn of war 2

Squad based Marine goodness (or Orc, Eldar, and Tyranids)

I didn't play the beta but it looks interesting enough with game changes and a new faction to pick this up.

A 1.1 patch will be available release day. ewe... that does not bode well. I liked the first one so hopefully they didn't muck with this sequel to badly. Relics a fine Canadian (Vancouver) co so lets give them the benefit of the doubt.

YouTube - Official Dawn of War 2 teaser
I know it's just a cutscene but I love that hammer!

Last edited by Alwaysrun; April 17, 2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old February 17, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well they ditched building bases fro what I read and focused on micro mgmt of your units, cover and capturing posts. I haven't played the MP beta as I am an RTS n00b but have been playing the campaign in the 1st one and following the development of this one for a few weeks now. So yes they did change it a lot to answer your question. Also added co-op campaign which sounds wicked. I just got RA3 and am looking forward to some co-op campaigns in that very soon. Just cutting my teeth on it this week.

You should check out the Steam or Relic forums for more details.

Edit: Great interview with Relic here. Details the changes.
Dawn of War 2 Interview: Relic on Expanding the RTS Genre, Killing the Fear Factor and Homeworld 3 - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads

IGN has there review up. 9/10
IGN: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Review

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE

Last edited by Thund3rball; February 17, 2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old February 17, 2009, 07:47 PM
Rookie

Beta is out till Thursday, great game with ppl who know how to play well.
Old February 17, 2009, 07:51 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I still want Homeworld 3

Edit:

From the Shacknews article:

Quote:
But at the same time, it might be like the equivalent of Fallout 3, where it feels like Homeworld, but it's kind of a different style of game. Where it's way more accessible to people, a little more exciting. We would probably want to take it in that direction. If we were working on something.
Seriously, I just puked. People loved that game for its complexity yet how accessible it became after a few hours of playing. These Vancouver developers are smoking a little too much of that BC ganja methinks.

Last edited by SKYMTL; February 17, 2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old February 17, 2009, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymtl View Post
i still want homeworld 3

edit:

From the shacknews article:

Seriously, i just puked. People loved that game for its complexity yet how accessible it became after a few hours of playing. These vancouver developers are smoking a little too much of that bc ganja methinks.

sins of a solar empire! <3
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old February 17, 2009, 08:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I still want Homeworld 3

Edit:

From the Shacknews article:

Seriously, I just puked. People loved that game for its complexity yet how accessible it became after a few hours of playing. These Vancouver developers are smoking a little too much of that BC ganja methinks.
LOL. Well the first is more complex than say something like RA3. If you read the IGN review they seem to like the changes and describe it more like an RPG/RTS. So while they may have made gameplay more accessible for n00bs the changes just bend the genre enough to give it a fresh feel for even seasoned players.

But I'm a n00b so what do I know. :P

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 17, 2009, 08:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I loved Homeworld but the second installment lost me. maybe a bit overcomplicated and strayed to far from the originals excellent game mechanics and interface for my liking.

As for what Relics smoking I say keep the bong close because Relic is still one of my favorite production companies and their track record in my mind is top notch.

But I see your point SKY maybe they should have some straight manager type sift through their interviews lol. wtf convoluted quote was that?

Alec I'll take what a methhead game developer might say for $800....What is Relic?
Old February 17, 2009, 09:05 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
sins of a solar empire! <3

If that was available on Steam I would already have it. Just try to find it at Best Buy...
Old February 17, 2009, 09:08 PM
Top Prospect

Oh, I want this game so bad but I don't know if I'll be getting it right away. I've still got quite a few games to finish and I've got Street Fighter IV (360) and Killzone 2 (PS3) coming out in the next two weeks. I have Halo Wars pre-ordered for 360, if it gets poor reviews then I'll cancel it and get DOW2 for sure then. However, knowing my track record I'll probably have DOW2 by the end of the week anyway.
Lian Li PC-V1010B : Dell U3011 30" LCD : Dell U2311 23" LCD : Asus P6T Deluxe X58 : Intel i7 920 @ 3.5GHz : OCZ DDR3 12GB @ 1483MHz 8-8-8-24 : Noctua NH-U12P : 2x MSI 6970 Lightning CF : Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 : 2x Samsung DVD-RW : Samsung DVD-ROM : OCZ Synapse 64GB Cache SSD : WD 1.5TB Black HDD : 2x WD 1TB Black HDDs : Corsair HX1000W : Cyborg R.A.T. 9 : Razer BW Ultimate Keyboard : Energy C-200 /w Yamaha RX-V667 AVR : Sennheiser HD555 Headphones : APC UPS XS 1200 : WIN 7 ULT 64
Old February 17, 2009, 11:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Reading through the IGN review again I'd have to say I am really looking forward to this one, but I have so many other games to play right now. In reference to their comment about the narrative, if it's anything like the narrative in DOW 1, ugh. Definitely the weakest link in that game. I am a huge believer in good story telling in games and DOW 1 fails miserably, which makes it harder to want to go back to for more casual RTS players. Luckily the gameplay and graphics do not lack.

From the IGN review.

Quote:
as players we can't continue to accept the same kinds of games, complain about stagnation, and then turn our backs when somebody does something different. In the campaign portion of the game Relic blended elements of action-RPGs and real-time strategy games and succeeded in producing a new and entertaining kind of experience. The missions could be more interesting and quality of narrative delivery stronger, but what's here is a terrific alternative to the standard base-bashing real-time strategy campaigns, hopefully something Relic is able to expand and further improve with expansions.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE