Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2009, 02:26 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Undoing Steam Patches; is it possible?

So, in the middle of benchmarking Left 4 Dead, Steam decides to download and install a patch which doesn't allow me to use my timedemo anymore.

Unfortunately that means I will either have to leave out Left 4 Dead benchmarks from the next few reviews or find a way to use that timedemo with the latest build OR find a way to overwrite the patch with an earlier version.

Does anyone have an idea if there is a way to install an earlier patch over the newest patch?

In addition, is there a way to still use Steam in online mode but disable automatic downloads so it doesn't do this right in the middle of a benching session?

Thanks.
Old January 28, 2009, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey sky I haven't been able to find anything about removing previous updates but you can disable automatic updates

Right click Left 4 dead, click properties, click updates and change the automatic updates "do not automatically download updates"
Old January 28, 2009, 03:00 PM

I have been searching to find a way of using previous timedemos on the new build (38) but have yet to find anything either. What a horrible time for this to happen...ugh.
Old January 28, 2009, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I have been searching to find a way of using previous timedemos on the new build (38) but have yet to find anything either. What a horrible time for this to happen...ugh.
I'm pretty sure theres an app out there that allows you to update source based time demo's, I just gotta find it again. I'm almost sure I've used one in the past, so I'll double check, I'll post back with any results I find.

Last edited by Chilly; January 28, 2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old January 28, 2009, 03:51 PM

Please do. That would be great.
Old January 28, 2009, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Everything I'm reading from my quick search, it should still work regardless of the version that was used to create the file. Perhaps it got corrupted when the game got automatically updated? Check this out Demo Recording Tools - Valve Developer Community maybe theres something in there that will help you.

I'll keep looking though.
Old January 28, 2009, 04:14 PM

I don't think it got corrupted since I have it saved to a flash drive and recopied it into the game directory when the original one stopped working.

This was an issue with HL2 as well so it isn't the first time a pre-recorded timedemo does not work with an updated version of the Source engine.
Old January 28, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I don't think it got corrupted since I have it saved to a flash drive and recopied it into the game directory when the original one stopped working.

This was an issue with HL2 as well so it isn't the first time a pre-recorded timedemo does not work with an updated version of the Source engine.
Yes, I've been reading into it more, it happens whenever they change the netcode, so the information stored the demo file (path instructions, etc) basically become incompatible. I'm still looking into an app that converts/patched old demo files, as I can almost swear that I've used one in the past.
Old January 28, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Well seems that app I remeber using, doesn't exist, my memory is flawed.

Unfortunately it seems that your SOL, I did a lot of searching and came across a lot of responses like this Have old Demos and content.gcf need help - Steam Users' Forums. Even if you were able to get an older gcf file, and start steam in offline mode chances are your SOL.

Thats not to say there isn't a solution, but its not exactly the best. What you could do is find a pirated version of L4D, and you should be good to go. I can only imagine how annoying this must be for you not being able to use information from past benchmarks.
Old January 28, 2009, 04:43 PM

Man, that sucks and blows. 18 cards, 6 benchmark runs....108 results that need to be redone.