Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2009, 02:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 and day of defeat

i was just lookin at these games on steam and was wondering if anyone plays either of them and if they are busy games with lots of servers and such
Old January 28, 2009, 03:26 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

DoD is still quite popular. I played a ton of it and still pop in occasionally. Liked in better than CS.
Old January 28, 2009, 04:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i also play day of defeat. i tried a free weekend download of red orchestra, but it is a little too slow and realistic for my liking. Day of defeat is fast-paced fun, but not very realistic.
Old January 28, 2009, 07:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

Yeah, they both appeal to different audiences, and they are both extremely well done, but, to this date I still prefer DoD, just more entertaining IMHO.

Old January 28, 2009, 08:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

just to clarify, i'm assuming you guys are speaking of Day of Defeat Source and not the orignal "1.3" version based on the half life 1 engine?

cmac79, if you can get over the dated sound, physics and graphics, the orignal day of defeat 1.3 is a great game too. It had a little more depth in terms of weapons classes and maps but i just love the way the source version plays. IMO, the sounds with doppler effects in the source version were enough of an improvement to make me want to play it exclusively over 1.3. If you decide to get the source version, it would be fun to play on the same side together. I can teach you some tricks and strategies :) here is my profile url for steam community http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...961163872/home my username is "skillaguerilla" so add me in steam friends. that goes for the rest of you too :)
Old January 28, 2009, 08:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

hahah now you've got me hankerin' to blast some wehrmacht. time to dust off ye olde bazooka
Old January 28, 2009, 09:04 PM
MVP

Red Orchestra is an amazing game. The only reason it's not popular is because kids don't like having to try at a game...they get thrown a realistic game and they want nothing to do with it because it's not arcade style gameplay.
RO imo is the best FPS out there. I play it now and then with old gaming buddies.
Old January 28, 2009, 10:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

Not necessary true, with the younger audience, yes, but with anyone older, that's far from true. Saying that though, even I'll admit that it is harder to get into then a simpler one, it doesn't mean people think "Hey, this game seems pretty real, let's not play it". Far from it, what is a defining factor is how fun a game is. Yes, RO is a fun game when you have people to play it with, but in my honest opinion, just joining random servers and playing with whoever there is just boring, while a game like, say, Team Fortress 2 still requires team work, but your having fun even if you know no one on the server. As well as another defining factor is that realistic games honestly take a dedicated, even a more hardcore game then casual gamers, and I don't believe I need to mention that there are more casual gamers then the prior.

I'm sorry, but saying that it's because people won't play realistic games is just a form of ignorence.

Old March 3, 2009, 09:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yes, i find that true with day of defeat. I can jump into any server and find the group of guys on my team that play strategically. i will usually stay close to them and complete objectives rather than camp in a corner with the Machine Gun and try to get a huge k:d ratio. If you don't like your team, just switch sides or change servers completely. You will find a server you like to play on regularly pretty quickly. I have about 4 of them on Day of Defeat that I frequent 95% of my playing time and i have a bunch of people in my friends list that I like to play on the same team with because we all have similar playing styles. I will usually check my friend's game info they are playing and join the same game they are playing rather than going to a set server too.

I agree with llama, the median age of the player has nothing to do with how fun a game is to you. I'm 30 and I have just as much fun wasting young kids in Counter Strike as I do in Day of Defeat. On a side note, I think there are a lot of 'older' (<25 y.o.) players on day of defeat than counter strike. Red Orchestra was too slow for me. I like a little faster paced game and Day of Defeat hits a good mix between strategy and action.
Old March 3, 2009, 11:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I LOVE Red Orchestra because it is soo fun and realistic and you need to be a team. I like that game play it much more then other FPS online. But I guess I like tactical gameplay and out witting your enemy so I don't like games like COD4 online. Now I still like DOD:S because it is fun and different but is not my cup of tea. We need more games like RO(graphics are getting dated).

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."