Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2009, 10:59 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The gameplay is fun? Its similar to GTA or what? I was thinking of getting it for PS3..
Old January 9, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
Any AA at all? your screens look pretty devoid of texture smoothing there enaberif. but maybe that's just the screens being downsized. Thats really some terrible object clipping with that old car 1/2 in the ground like that. ick. I'm considering grabbing this but want to know how the multiplayer is. Anyone have a comment on the multi?
Multiplayer uses GameSpy and I tried it last night but nothing showed up.

Gameplay is 100x more fun than GTA IV.

NOTE: I'm a dumb dumb. Under video settings it has low, medium, high and...... custom. *face palm*

Last edited by enaberif; January 9, 2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old January 11, 2009, 03:37 AM
MVP

In all honesty comparing GTA IV and Saints Row 2 is like comparing apples and oranges, both have different qualities. GTA IV has better graphics and better physics, especially car physics. Saints Row 2 driving is like trying to drive a car on rails. Driving in GTA IV is much, much smoother. Saints Row 2 graphics are dated, almost the same as San Andrea graphics. But Saints Row 2 has a lot more customization. You can customize your characters, face, body, race, sex, voice, walk, taunt, etc. And you can customize your characters clothing, cars and crib.

The cons of Saints Row 2 would be the driving and graphics. Would be nice if rockstar would look at Saints Row 2 and take from features from it for their next game. Such as the ability to customize your character, your clothing, cars and crib.
Old January 11, 2009, 08:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_pulse View Post
In all honesty comparing GTA IV and Saints Row 2 is like comparing apples and oranges, both have different qualities. GTA IV has better graphics and better physics, especially car physics. Saints Row 2 driving is like trying to drive a car on rails. Driving in GTA IV is much, much smoother. Saints Row 2 graphics are dated, almost the same as San Andrea graphics. But Saints Row 2 has a lot more customization. You can customize your characters, face, body, race, sex, voice, walk, taunt, etc. And you can customize your characters clothing, cars and crib.

The cons of Saints Row 2 would be the driving and graphics. Would be nice if rockstar would look at Saints Row 2 and take from features from it for their next game. Such as the ability to customize your character, your clothing, cars and crib.
Driving in Saints Row 2 is far better than GTA IV simply for how the camera is dealt with.

And for graphics I don't care its about having fun for me and while the graphics aren't superior I'm more worried about simply enjoying the game.
Old January 11, 2009, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
And for graphics I don't care its about having fun for me and while the graphics aren't superior I'm more worried about simply enjoying the game.
EXACTLY!
qfft
Old January 11, 2009, 01:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

i played through it on 360, in coop on my lan. i would say i had more fun with it than gta4 over all. a lot of the reviews i read on the game complained about the juvenile sense of humor, but i think they were sub-consciously comparing it to gta4, which was pretty serious in nature (even compared to previous gta games), making sr2 look even more juvenile. personally i thought it was pretty hillairous/over the top. the game has its serious moments too (mostly in the 'story missions' agaisnt the other gangs), some more serious than anything in gta (the brotherhood story in particular).

we encountered some wierd bugs, but nothing too major. if you are playing coop, make sure that when you are getting into the same car, that the driver gets in completely before the passenger does. we had a few times where the passenger was stuck half in/half out and would inevitably die when they fell out at high speeds, and twice, the driver would get stuck inthe car unable to drive or get out (blow up the car/revive the guy was the only way out we could find).

as for game play i much prefer the aiming/gun system in this over any gta game. its a 3rd person shooter, no auto aim button, no half assed free aim, just aim and shoot like a shooter. the driving is a little weird, arcadey, whatever-you-wanna call it, but its functional.

the customization is a nice touch too. we made our guys looks like ricky and bubbles from trailer park boys. you can pretty much do anything with the character gen (we have a trailer park movie poster to use for reference and we pretty much nailed both guys, which is a testimony to the chr gen imo).