Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2009, 07:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default annoying gta 4 trouble!!!

Hi all,
about a month ago when gta 4 came out, I heard about the dissapointing cap
rockstar games had put on the game and dicided not to buy it, but to torrent it.
I had succesfully torrented and went through many non working cracks and bypasses untill i came across one that was an activation bypass, and it finally worked. I started playing the game pretty regularly from then on and got pretty into the game (part where you try to kill dimitri) and then i started to play other games.

Now, after about 2 weeks, I tried to open gta 4 and then when i click "play" in the social club application it says,
"Application failed to launch" "The application you are attempting to launch failed to start. this could be the result of it being blocked by Windows Parental Controls/Family Safety. please make sure you have access to the application before trying to launch it, or contact support at http://www.rockstargames.com/support".

And thats it. Any suggestions to this frusterating problem. Any will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
Shayan288.
Old January 4, 2009, 07:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I think you'll need to buy the game if you want help here as discussion of cracks etc. is strictly against the rules(In fact, you might want to edit or delete your post.) That being said, there's actually no install limit on GTA 4 according to the steam page. It has SecuROM, but no install limit. It's likely that the problem is caused by the fact that you don't have a legitimate copy.
Old January 4, 2009, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think he's talking about the graphics cap, as in you can't set higher settings once you reach the amount of vram you have.
Old January 4, 2009, 07:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

i wasn't discussing a crack matt... I was discussing a problem and if you do not want to help thats fine, but otherwise whether I torrented it or not should not be ur concern and btw, I buy my games I just didn't support rockstar because of the graphics cap they put on gta 4 as infiniti has mentioned.
Old January 4, 2009, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

And I am refusing to buy L4D because of steam.. but you still should not go around asking for help and advertising the fact that it is not a legit copy because even though plenty of us do it, most of us still think people should buy a game if they want to play it. That results in us being less willing to help in certain situations.
Old January 4, 2009, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well rockstar has some pretty good protection in this game. This is one of the most protected games on the market. Best bet is to buy the game. Although I agree the graphics cap is stupid I believe there will be a work around sometime.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 4, 2009, 08:05 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayan288 View Post
i wasn't discussing a crack matt... I was discussing a problem and if you do not want to help thats fine, but otherwise whether I torrented it or not should not be ur concern and btw, I buy my games I just didn't support rockstar because of the graphics cap they put on gta 4 as infiniti has mentioned.
I'm not at all concerned if someone buys a game or not. I'm just trying to give a heads-ups because the rules state that mentioning illegal downloads will get you banned(Although I'm not sure how enforced that is.) I don't own the game, but I googled the problem and it sounds like it's pretty common. Strangely none of the forum threads that came up in the search have a solution. Maybe you could trying reinstalling it?
Old January 4, 2009, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

GTA4 has a lot more than just that wrong with it.

Which is why its a pile of poo.

Oh and fyi do some research there is a way to get around it.
Old January 4, 2009, 08:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

ah kay, i apoligize for my "illegal' post:D but yeah since the problem is common and ppl say that it happens to torrented version, and from what ive heard legit copys work without a problem (is that so?) i guess il buy it one day. problem is I have to do half of the missions all over again. and that kinda sux IMO, not that the story is bad though.
Old February 22, 2009, 08:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

kk.. can somebody tell me how to join a server!? lol. I can only create one and have people join it but like I cant seem to join one. and like it says on my steam thing that whenever I launch gta 4, i should type in a serial code that the pop up displays, but I have been playing multi for a whil (only creating not joing) and I have never entered it... help please...

Q9550 E0 stepping @ 4Ghz
Gigabyte EP45 UD3P
G.Skill pc2 8500 1066mhz RAM
Corsair TX750 Watt Power Supply
Western Digital 500gb and Seagate 500gb in RAID 0
Western Digital 250gb
Antec 1200
OCZ Vendetta 2 LGA 775 CPU cooler with bolt thru kit
XFX HD5970
Steelseries 7G Mechanical Keyboard
Samsung 305T 30 Inch 2560x1600 LCD monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Speakers, Sennheiser HD215's, G35's