Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31, 2008, 03:16 PM
Top Prospect

Default Steam trouble.

so heres my situation. I want to buy TF2 off steam for 10 bucks but I don't have access to a credit card. I've looked everywhere for a prepaid visa card but I've only managed to find them in $100s which is too much. I was wondering if my scotiabank debit card would work since it has the three digit security code on the back.
Old December 31, 2008, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can use...
Visa
MasterCard
American Express
Disover
JCB
Paypal
Click and Buy

There is not a debit/interact option.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 31, 2008, 03:25 PM
Top Prospect

i see, well that sucks. thanks for the quick responds.
Old December 31, 2008, 03:27 PM
Banned
F@H

Find someone with a creditcard to buy for you...game on steam can be purchased as gifts...
Old December 31, 2008, 03:33 PM
Top Prospect

I don't have friends that close :). I'll just sign up for paypal.
Old December 31, 2008, 03:35 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

You could probably set up a paypal account with your bank information, but some vendors(including steam) require that a credit card be linked to an account as backup payment. Where did you look for the prepaid card? I've bought them as gifts from the giftcard sections in safeway before, but I know that some banks offer them as well.
Old December 31, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Actually, if you use PayPal, you can find your PayPal with a bank account - However, always open a SECONDARY bank account with a small amount, never link your paypal to your primary bank account - Once done, and you go through the process of getting verified (takes a few days) you will then need to transfer some money from your bank to your paypal balance. When you purchase online, your first funding source should be your paypal balance, this way your payment is processed immediately ! However if your PayPal balance cannot cover your order then a backup source is used - either your CC or a bank. If it is a CC payment is instant. If it is bank then echeck is used and you will have to unfortunately wait 8 days for payment to clear if you are in Canada. I have a Paypal account but no credit card, because Idon't like CCs. I fund it using my bank account, and I keep arodn $50 in my paypal balance. You can order through steam using PP, and it should be processed immediately if you have the balance or a CC as funding source, but it is not required to have a CC on file.