Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26, 2008, 07:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default garrys mod

Hey guys.
I've gotta quick question about the game garry's mod.
I'va been eyeing the game on steam for a while because it look quite interesting,
and now its a dollar off! YAY! :D hehe. well. What is it about? and is it worth its cost?
Thanks.
Old December 26, 2008, 08:56 PM
Rookie

gmod is a physics sand box game where u get a physics gun that can move any object and many other tools and you just build things or if your not good at building you can spawn characters from HL2 and put them into different positions and theres thousands of addons you can download at the gmod website (http://www.garrysmod.org) plus theres multiplayer with lots of game modes ranging from sandbox to halo 2 battles to RPG well worth the cost very customizable and i recommend it
DELL | Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs) | 4GB RAM | 232 GB | NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE | Dell 1360x768 screen | SigmaTel audio | Logitech premium headset | Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard | Acrox wireless laser mouse | Windows XP Professional | DELL Dimension E520 stock case.
Old December 27, 2008, 02:50 PM
Allstar

gmod is sort of like playing with legos. However, instead of being limited by the number of blocks you have, you're limited by the amount of physics and objects your computer can handle. Overall, i'd say gmod is fun to play with for about a week and then it's a complete bore and waste of time. I played it when it was a free mod, so I don't know what's changed in the pay version.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old December 27, 2008, 02:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
gmod is sort of like playing with legos. However, instead of being limited by the number of blocks you have, you're limited by the amount of physics and objects your computer can handle. Overall, i'd say gmod is fun to play with for about a week and then it's a complete bore and waste of time. I played it when it was a free mod, so I don't know what's changed in the pay version.
Yup!

Its not worth spending money on.
Old December 27, 2008, 04:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Yup!

Its not worth spending money on.
I disagree. I spent $25 for CS-S and Gmod and I've spent hours playing Gmod. There are thousands of mods for it that make it more fun, and its extremely fun to play with a friend. You can make all sorts of mini-challenges, like have some crazy obstacle course have you and your friend(s) have X amount of time to make a car, then you can race though it. Or you can download wiremod and make all sorts of automated killing machines. I definitely agree Gmod is not for everyone, but for someone who enjoys building things with Legos, or enjoys programming (extremely similar to wiremod) it is definitely worth it.
Old December 28, 2008, 01:56 PM
Rookie

the free one was version 9 version 11(pay) features lots more tools and downloadable content
DELL | Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs) | 4GB RAM | 232 GB | NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE | Dell 1360x768 screen | SigmaTel audio | Logitech premium headset | Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard | Acrox wireless laser mouse | Windows XP Professional | DELL Dimension E520 stock case.
Old December 30, 2008, 09:48 AM
Allstar
F@H

well i got it along with counterstrike source, and I am definately LOVING garrys mod a lot! way more than cs:s. this game is probably gonna last me a couple of months. however cs:s to me, is kinda of boring after buying cod4.:D
Old December 30, 2008, 11:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

Don't forget to get lots of addons from garrysmod.org - Garry's Mod Related Files!!
Old January 1, 2009, 08:41 PM
MVP

I hope most of the naysayers realize there's a HUGE multiplayer aspect of the game as well.

I for one don't regret buying it for one second.