Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2008, 10:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Fallout 3 AA and AF Sampling Query

Hey guys,
Quick one...when I play FO3 their doesn't appear to much of a difference in Graphics Quality when going from Max AA and Max AF (8x n 15x) ?..FPS with VSynch on stays at 60 FPS in both cases and with VSynch off the Frames in both cases seem to be about the same, anywhere from 60 - 110. When I look at objects, such as Stop signs, mail boxes, the rocks on the street, walls or broken windows they also appear the same in either case?...Am I missing something here...just curious if their is some setting other than setting to "Ultra" and 8x 15x when Launching the game that I'm missing. I know in order to dissable VSynch I have to "Force Off" in the nVidia Control Panel, any comments would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Maybe its just a "Bob Zone" thing..

Last edited by rjbarker; December 24, 2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old December 24, 2008, 06:10 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The difference between 8xAF and 15xAF is miniscule at best. The only areas where I have found somewhat of a difference is in the patterns of cracks sometimes found on the broken road sections which litter F3.

As for the difference in AA modes, if you are playing on a sufficiently large screen you won't see much of a difference either.
Old December 24, 2008, 07:47 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

DL and install the high res texture pack mod. I did and it makes a big difference.
Old December 24, 2008, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
The difference between 8xAF and 15xAF is miniscule at best. The only areas where I have found somewhat of a difference is in the patterns of cracks sometimes found on the broken road sections which litter F3.

As for the difference in AA modes, if you are playing on a sufficiently large screen you won't see much of a difference either
Yep thanks Sky...wasn't sure if it was simply my eyes going buggy or my settings weren't working correctly....

Quote:
DL and install the high res texture pack mod. I did and it makes a big difference.
Do you have a link to this mod Squeetard...thanks

Old December 24, 2008, 10:07 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Fallout 3 Nexus - Fallout 3 mods and community

there are a bazillion mods out.
Old December 24, 2008, 10:12 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Here is the terrain pack:
Terrain pack at Fallout 3 Nexus - Fallout 3 mods and community
get the 2048x2048(max) one. I run it fine on my 260.

Use the browse feature and sort by number of downloads, you'll find the best mods in each categoy that way.
Old December 24, 2008, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
get the 2048x2048(max) one. I run it fine on my 260.
That is fine on a native res 1920 x 1200..?

Old December 24, 2008, 11:45 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

yes, i run that res and even with all the eye candy cranked i'm locked at 60fps. This game is not very taxing.
Old December 24, 2008, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
This game is not very taxing.
No you got that right, I never see GPU Temps over n above 55c, unlike other titles whereby 70c can be the norm!