Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2008, 11:13 PM
Top Prospect

Default The thing that bugs me the most.

Well, I love to play games. All my friends play games like COD4, Left 4 Dead, etc. However, they don't play these games on a computer. They spend $200 for an Xbox 360, and then $50 - $60 on the game.

On the other hand, someone who buys a computer to try and play Far Cry 2 or Left 4 Dead on max quality settings has to spend a good amount on a computer (including peripherals) just to play.

Why do people buy computers to game with when they can just get an Xbox 360 and the game? Sure a computer can do more, but why spend much more money just to get the extra features such as typing papers or surfing the web?

Please can someone explain?
Old December 20, 2008, 11:20 PM

My System Specs

Because gaming with a keyboard and mouse > game pad.
And graphics on pc look significantly better due not to be using a 3 year old video chipset
Old December 20, 2008, 11:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Because consoles are subsidized, have lower quality graphic, and crappy controls.

Keyboard + Mouse >>>> Controller

Besides, I spend the money on PC hardware mainly because I love the hobby, not because of the games, though they are a strong consideration.

Last edited by Chilly; December 20, 2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old December 20, 2008, 11:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

......because thier is absolutely no comparison in the Graphics quality between my PS3 on my 50" Sony HD and my Rig on my 24" Samsung. Its all about the Graphics and "swift" gameplay.
Quote:
Because gaming with a keyboard and mouse > game pad.
btw..I can hook up a Keyboard n Mouse to my PS3 if I so choose.

Old December 20, 2008, 11:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Besides, I spend the money on PC hardware mainly because I love the hobby, not because of the games, though they are a strong consideration.
+1 Chilly !

Old December 20, 2008, 11:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
+1 Chilly !

Just to add more fuel to the fire;

Consoles are rigid, not much can be done to them, changed, modded. With PC's though, sky's the limit. Its not just the hardware, I love playing with various OS's, OS X, Windows, Linux. I love playing around, modding the OS, designing software, crunching for science, etc. A console is nice if all you want to do is sit down relax and throw a game on. PC's are nice if you like a challenge.

It would be the same to ask "Why do Hot Rodder's build their own cars, instead of buying the latest sports coupe?" and you'll get the same answer, because they love their hobby.
Old December 20, 2008, 11:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can hook a keyboard and mouse up to a console any day but there is a reason you'll never see a serious FPS Lan party of PS3's or Xbox's ad that is because consoles use aimbot to assist with shooting and accuracy due to the inherent clumsiness of a gamepad.

EDIT: This post dosn't belong in this forum :) Should be moved to gaming or something.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old December 21, 2008, 12:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
btw..I can hook up a Keyboard n Mouse to my PS3 if I so choose.
But the game needs to support it.. and how many do? UT3? No others come to mind though there might be a second.
Old December 21, 2008, 12:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

well you can play xbox on your pc...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old December 21, 2008, 12:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
You can hook a keyboard and mouse up to a console any day but there is a reason you'll never see a serious FPS Lan party
Quote:
But the game needs to support it.. and how many do? UT3? No others come to mind though there might be a second.
Hey guys...my quote of hooking up a keyboard n mouse to my PS3 was simply to acknowledge that it can be done......personally I wouldn't as their is no FPS game out thier that would run on my PS3 anything like it will run on my 280SLI.....Don't feel like you have to use my quote as a means of "pushing" the PC over a Console....??...You don't have to convince me..really!