Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15, 2007, 11:30 AM
Rookie

Default Your Favorite Old/Classic/Timeless Games

Games age extremely fast, especially the ones that are supposed to showcase technology and "photorealism".

I was just wondering what the guys on HWC thought about this.

What are your favorite games from yester-year (or even yester-month) that you would classify as:

Old (great when it came out, but there is no going back)
Classic (still fun if you can get over the now outdated mechanics/graphics/interface)
Timeless (still as good now as the day it was released, technology be damned)

Example

Dues Ex is my favorite old game. I was sucked into this game for weeks. This game was a little rough around the edges back then, but now I find it borderline unplayable. This game will live on in my memories.

Planescape: Torment is my favorite classic game. I've yet to find another game with a world as well realized and interesting and so filled with fascinating characters and events. The story was amazing as well; it is rare to find an epic RPG with a story focus that is so intensely personal. Good writing is what keeps this game out of the Old category, but the technology may hamper your experience if you don’t have patience.

And, to me, Doom (and Doom 2) is timeless. I can have as much fun playing it now as I did in 1994. There is something about the mouse-less controls (the way I play), the distinctive monsters, the pace (I think I read that the Doom marine runs at about 50 kmph) and the creepy/interesting level art and sound design that defy time, even when current FPS’s (we used to call the Doom-clones) struggle to keep the attention of the masses for more than a few weeks.

What about you guys?

Last edited by DevilUknow; May 15, 2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old May 15, 2007, 12:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Max Payne

It's a classic. It's a little old and graphic sucks a little now but i don't care. I still play it again and again. I probably beat the game about 100 times. I remember when i first played it... I was at a friend's house and his big bro and his friends were playing the game on PS2. A few months later i was renting a Xbox to play the game. First time i beat it was on xbox. Months later i saw a friend that had the game on PC... Then i started playing it on my dad's comp. Some time later, i bought the game used in French. And since that time, this game as been my real first single player FPS ever played on a PC. It will always be in my memories!

Thats for the Single Player game on PC. Now the multiplayer game on PC. Unreal Tournament! The classic!

This game has been my real first step into Online gaming. I remember my uncle had installed it on my very first personal comp that was some cheap p3 that i can't even remember the other specs. Anyway, back in the time, we (Me and my Friends) used to play the game while being stone lol. What great times! We played it hours and hours and still today we, from time to time, do lan-parties and play the game to get back in the old times but it's never the same things anymore. At it's famous time, Unreal Tournament had lots and lots of awesome modded servers. Everyday we would find new servers with new mods and stuff. Such great times!
• - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
• - Ultra X3 1000 Watt
• - Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
• - Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
• - Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
• - CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
• - Dell UltraSharp 24''
• - Noctua NH-D14

Last edited by Patriote; May 15, 2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old May 15, 2007, 01:46 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Old : Quake (The Original) : There was something about starting up a game and immidately seeing a few zombies get turned into little steaming bits by a grenade launcher, has been and will always my fav old old game.

Classic : Descent ( 1 & 2) : Whoa!! A video that nearly made me sick the first time I played it AND was challenging, graphics are horrible by todays standards but I still play it from time to time.

Timeless : Starcraft : Now here's a game I still play as often as I can, and from what I understand, its STILL one of the most played online RTS games, even today. Booyeah about everything SC =D
Old May 15, 2007, 02:53 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Old : Duke Nukem. It just seemed like it was ahead of its time back when it first came out. Looking at the graphics today is laughable.

Classic : Everquest I. The first game I was really addicted to, man it was nice to have enough free time to play video games for 16 hours straight back in the day lol. Took up almost 4 years of my life, but I still have friends I keep in contact with from that game.

Timeless : Championship Manager/Football Manager series by SI games. Been playing this since 2002 and it just gets better every year! Granted I don’t play the 2002 version anymore but I do always get the latest every xmas!
Old May 15, 2007, 04:33 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilUknow View Post
Planescape: Torment is my favorite classic game. I've yet to find another game with a world as well realized and interesting and so filled with fascinating characters and events. The story was amazing as well; it is rare to find an epic RPG with a story focus that is so intensely personal. Good writing is what keeps this game out of the Old category, but the technology may hamper your experience if you don’t have patience.
Was thinking the same game when I read the start of your post. If PS:T ran in a newer version of the IE, like Baldur's Gate 2 or IWD2, I'd put it in the timeless category for sure.
Old May 15, 2007, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Very old: Champions of Krynn (Dungeons and Dragons)
Old: Jagged Alliance
Master of Orion: The Battle for Antares
Red Alert

Somewhat Old: Diablo 2
StarCraft

I just picked up The Godfather for 9.99 for the heck of it and it ROCKS- I know it's not that old, but it's basically the same kind of engine and gameplay as grand theft auto, but with a WAY cooler premise, and actual voiceovers from the movie- all the characters except michael corleone look and sound like the original. I love driving the 50's model cars around too.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; May 15, 2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old May 15, 2007, 05:17 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Old? hahahaha omg the original Final Fantasy on Nintendo, could never play it now of course but at the time the graphics and gameplay were never seen before.

I loved UnReal Tournament, fast paced lots of weapons and interesting graphics/monsters etc

And although I am tired of playing the game, I am still a GameMaster on a private server for Lineage2 simply because they also use the UnReal gaming engine, the graphics are acceptable and the gameplay is awesome tweaked on a private server. (I could never handle WoW too immature and cartoonish for me)

I still have Doom 3, Quake 4, FarCry, FEAR and Prey sitting beside me for benching and occasional gaming
Old May 15, 2007, 05:44 PM
Allstar

Very old: Asteroids on my Vic 20:) Just hate trying to find which cassette I put it on lol

Somewhat old: First real pc game MOHA allied Assault ok gfx awesome multiplayer.

Still play: Far Cry....still has good gfx...especially with latest patch 1.4....actually breathed new life into the game.
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old May 15, 2007, 05:57 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Old: Jagged Alliance
Yes! this was a fantastic game. The humor and charm are still great. I couldn't play it to save my life now though...

Quote:
Diablo 2
This game broke my mouse. Blizzard still owes me like $20 for that thing.
Old May 15, 2007, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know there's some old-schoolers around here, but speaking for myself, I'll always have a soft spot-for the first computer games I ever played like leisure suit larry in the land of the lounge lizards, LOOM (I think george lucas had a hand in this one), king's quest and champions of krynn- even if some of them weren't so great.