Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2008, 12:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Best and worst PC games of 2008

So as the title suggest whats your one best and worst pc game choice this year?

Best for me was a split between Farcry 2 and Fallout3. While farcry had spectacular graphics its gameplay was sometimes lacking, and alternately Fallout3 had great gameplay but I thought rather poor graphics. I'm going to give Fallout3 the edge as it consumed more of my time and I could see myself reinstalling it again in the future as there just oodles to see and do.

My worst titles I played this year was another toss up. Space Siege and 007 Quantum of Solace. Ack what stinkers both were. Space Siege I can't say much about because it was so terrible I could only stomach 30mins of it. This game deserved to come out 5 years ago, and even then it would make my worst list haha. Quantum of Solace for the PC also was a real stinker, with graphics that looked like Half Life (the original) and clunky interface which felt so console I didn't last longer than 2 hours in this game before I went out and watched the movie to redeem my warm feeling about the Ian Flemming hero. But one kudos to this movie inspired game that is contrary to most terrible movie inspired video games is that Quantum of Solace PC mirrors it's theatrical release perfectly. They both STUNK! I'm giving Quantum of Solace the nod for worst pc game I played this year. bleh what a waste of $56.50

Fallout 3
007 James Bond: Quantum of Solace PC

So share your thoughts on the best/worst of 2008.
Old December 2, 2008, 01:05 PM
Allstar

I've only played a few games so I'm not a viable critique on '08 pc gaming but of the few I did play, I think that Crysis was ok and dare I say it? ....

I'm having allot of fun with Spore ( now I'm out of the closet )

I havn't played Fallout 3.

CHEERS
Old December 2, 2008, 01:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

Best would be Farcry 2
After that Crysis, Sins of a Solar Empire, Supreme Commander FA.
World in Conflict was ok.

Sorry folks. Crysis Warhead, dead last. I was really disappointed and was glad when I finished it.
Old December 2, 2008, 01:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Top games for me so far this year: Fallout 3, Portal!, The Force Unleashed Xbox360
Medium games of the year for me: Crysis, Gears of War PC both mainly due to horrible coding and bugs otherwise they would be in the top game spots.
Worst Games of the year: Quake 4 (too short), Spore (horrible game play), Unreal 3 (single player)
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old December 2, 2008, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Of PC games I've bought this year?

L4D - Best
Fallout 3
Crysis Warhead- Pretty Good
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
Flatout Ultimate Carnage
FarCry 2 - Not bad, just abit boring at times.
----
----
----
Dead Space - Horrible, I personally disliked it, waste of $50 IMO

Thats all I remember buying this year so far.
Old December 2, 2008, 01:54 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Best: Sins of a Solar Empire

Worst: Need for Speed Undercover
Old December 2, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Best - Farcry 2, Crysis, GRID
Worst - NHL09.... I cant beleive I paid 40 bucks for NHL 06.4 lol
oh and Frontlines:FOW.... what a waste of time

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old December 2, 2008, 01:55 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

If Portal was this year, then that's definitely at the top of my list. Strangely enough, I find that my 2nd is Mount & Blade, a particularly ugly game that finally came out in a non-beta version a few months ago. It's got fairly poor graphics, but it has been addictive like crack for me. It's exactly what I thought was missing from Medieval 2:Total War.

That said, I have yet to play FC2, FO3, or L4D, as the end of the year is an awfully busy time for me.
Old December 2, 2008, 02:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Was TF2 release this year or last? I can't remember. If so, that would be my top pick. I have wasted so much time this year playing it it's not even funny. :) Otherwise, I would say Fallout 3 is pretty good, although I still haven't finished it, as it's just massive. Crysis Warhead sucked, oh but Command and Conquer was pretty good too, but there was nothing spectacular about it.
Old December 2, 2008, 02:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Best: Far Cry 2/Dead Space
Worst: ... Guess I don't usually play really bad games :)

Yet to Play: Fallout 3, PoP, TR: Underworld, Rock Band 2, Mass Effect PC,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varroa View Post
Top games for me so far this year: Fallout 3, Portal!, The Force Unleashed Xbox360
Medium games of the year for me: Crysis, Gears of War PC both mainly due to horrible coding and bugs otherwise they would be in the top game spots.
Worst Games of the year: Quake 4 (too short), Spore (horrible game play), Unreal 3 (single player)
Quake 4, GOW PC, Crysis, UT3!?! I thought he said 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan500rider View Post
If Portal was this year, then that's definitely at the top of my list. Strangely enough, I find that my 2nd is Mount & Blade, a particularly ugly game that finally came out in a non-beta version a few months ago. It's got fairly poor graphics, but it has been addictive like crack for me. It's exactly what I thought was missing from Medieval 2:Total War.

That said, I have yet to play FC2, FO3, or L4D, as the end of the year is an awfully busy time for me.
Nope Portal was 2007 (Orange Box). I think Portal for 360 was 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
So as the title suggest whats your one best and worst pc game choice this year?

Best for me was a split between Farcry 2 and Fallout3. While farcry had spectacular graphics its gameplay was sometimes lacking, and alternately Fallout3 had great gameplay but I thought rather poor graphics. I'm going to give Fallout3 the edge as it consumed more of my time and I could see myself reinstalling it again in the future as there just oodles to see and do.

My worst titles I played this year was another toss up. Space Siege and 007 Quantum of Solace. Ack what stinkers both were. Space Siege I can't say much about because it was so terrible I could only stomach 30mins of it. This game deserved to come out 5 years ago, and even then it would make my worst list haha. Quantum of Solace for the PC also was a real stinker, with graphics that looked like Half Life (the original) and clunky interface which felt so console I didn't last longer than 2 hours in this game before I went out and watched the movie to redeem my warm feeling about the Ian Flemming hero. But one kudos to this movie inspired game that is contrary to most terrible movie inspired video games is that Quantum of Solace PC mirrors it's theatrical release perfectly. They both STUNK! I'm giving Quantum of Solace the nod for worst pc game I played this year. bleh what a waste of $56.50

Fallout 3
007 James Bond: Quantum of Solace PC

So share your thoughts on the best/worst of 2008.
LOL, wanna sell QOS to me for $15?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE