Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2008, 06:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Anyone who hasn't played HL1 and plays it now will be VERY dissapointed. The game mechanics are so bad and sloppy that I had to quit before even finishing the first stage.

But this remake looks interesting.
Old December 3, 2008, 08:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Ok, just a slightly off topic question.... :)

Are there any "must have" mods I should install on the original before I play it?
If you have Half-Life Source (which is HL1 using Source code for improved physics) you can download the Hi-Def Source Pack. It has greatly improved models and textures for HL1. Note this is not the Black Mesa Source Mod which is totally different.

High-Definition Source: About the project

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old September 14, 2012, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

black mesa is now available for download and is playable up to Xen .Anyone play it yet...the sites been overloaded all day but you can get it on torrent.Black Mesa Source released - download it now! | News | PC Gamer
Old September 14, 2012, 03:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeeeeee been looking forward to this. Downloading now.
Old September 16, 2012, 12:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've been playing it for the last day or so on and off. Man is it good. There are a few bugs that cause the game to crash (changing "map" and saving), and even on normal mode, the damn soldiers are aimbotting. Vortiguants also charge shoot rather quickly as well. I keep finding myself looking for a damn health pack.

Other than that, this game looks simply amazing and sticks to the story. What were somewhat random areas in the original HL have been taken out and make more sense now (like the railway system). I don't find myself getting lost too often, which is definitely a good sign. I'll gladly donate an $10+ to the devs for this mod. Just gotta get through it. I now understand why this mod took so long.
Old September 16, 2012, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
I've been playing it for the last day or so on and off. Man is it good. There are a few bugs that cause the game to crash (changing "map" and saving), and even on normal mode, the damn soldiers are aimbotting. Vortiguants also charge shoot rather quickly as well. I keep finding myself looking for a damn health pack.

Other than that, this game looks simply amazing and sticks to the story. What were somewhat random areas in the original HL have been taken out and make more sense now (like the railway system). I don't find myself getting lost too often, which is definitely a good sign. I'll gladly donate an $10+ to the devs for this mod. Just gotta get through it. I now understand why this mod took so long.
Yep so far it is a great recreation of HL1 from what I've played. The Mod team is not accepting donations for the project though. They suggest you donate to charity instead :)

Old September 16, 2012, 02:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

This looks to be pretty cool, I did not know they were doing this. I will definitely give this a shot.
Old September 16, 2012, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here's some screencaps from starting my playthrough last night

Steam Community :: headsh0t :: Screenshots
Old September 18, 2012, 08:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I am playing through right now. Lots of fun but the dam jumping limiting factor is really annoying. I can't believe I cannot jump on a chair or table without have to build some steps to get half way up first. Am I missing something? I have played through all the HL2 games and never remember this being so limiting. Other that that is it fun but I never played the first one so I can't compare (I tried playing the first one after HL2 EP2 and I couldn't get past the bad graphics).
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770 (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Intel X25-M 160GB, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old September 18, 2012, 05:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varroa View Post
I am playing through right now. Lots of fun but the dam jumping limiting factor is really annoying. I can't believe I cannot jump on a chair or table without have to build some steps to get half way up first. Am I missing something? I have played through all the HL2 games and never remember this being so limiting. Other that that is it fun but I never played the first one so I can't compare (I tried playing the first one after HL2 EP2 and I couldn't get past the bad graphics).
Maybe you figured it out, but if not, then just as in the first one (HL 1), in Black Mesa, you have to do a jump using CROUCH, so you are essentially tucking your knees in while jumping - like in the original HL, it is an annoying mechanic and has created a few frustrating moments for many - so it is like you are projecting yourself forward after a crouch.