Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2008, 07:36 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Spore?

Hey, was just wondering if anyone can give me some advise on this game? I am looking at maybe picking it up for my 10 year old son for Christmas. I want to get away from FPS's and the creativity of this game caught my attention? Is is worth purchasing for a ten year old? Is there any violence? I think it's rated "E"? Just looking for some opinions from someone who has actually played the game. Thanks!
Old November 28, 2008, 07:43 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Subscribed.

My 10-year old circled that game too last night in the Toys-R-Us flyer. I have the same questions.
Old November 28, 2008, 07:51 AM
Allstar

My 13 year old is a big Sims 2 fan.

I got her Spore when it came out and she played it for a while. The wife also gave it a test drive. In the end they both stopped playing it ...

Looks like a good game as they start out as single cell creatures and move up from there.

The reason they stopped playing is they prefer Sims 2 more.

I also got her Portal and she enjoyed that, in fact when I changed her system, she reinstalled Portal but not Spore.

Hope this helps
Old November 28, 2008, 08:17 AM
Allstar
F@H

It is an interesting game, but it gets old fast. A 10 year old would be able to play it, but most of the game is in the space level and it involves a lot of micro management... so it really depends on how good the 10 year old is at games. Anyone can play the cell stage, and other stages, since they are relatively easy. They would have fun creating their own creatures and "evolving" them... but most of the game is set in space and requires attention and a LOT of repetitiveness.... so if they like and are good at RTS games then I might get it for them.

I guess it depends on what type of games they like to play... its nothing like the sims other then the design your character and designing buildings... but remember, the design does not matter at ALL once your in the space stage (75% of the game).
Old November 28, 2008, 08:25 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Everyone I know that has it, played it for a couple of weeks, and have not touched it since. Mind you, they are not 10, but it seems to be very common. It does get old quick.
Old November 28, 2008, 09:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I tried to like Spore and it has it's charms but I found it rather slow and kiddie like, so I guess it would be a good selection for a 10yr old. I agree with Jon that the last stage of evolution in the space phase takes a sharp turn upwards in regards to the learning curve.

SecuRom DRM

EA has limited each copy of Spore to five individual installs by the user at any given time; Also the game will re-authenticate any time you add new downloaded content from the Sporepedia. If the user surpasses the five install limit they will receive an error message that will ask the user to verify the registration code and to reinstall the game. Any further issues may be forwarded to EA's support service.
Old November 28, 2008, 10:36 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I think it was the building/creativity part that caught my attention the most, He used to always build bionicles (lego) then not really play with them... He said he liked building them more than playing with them? It's too bad your design comes into play so little for the majority of the game. Will have to think hard on this, thank you for all the input!!!