Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2008, 07:27 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I am sure there is another question on everyone's mind: did you experience any of the famous ATI framerate stuttering in FC2?
Old November 23, 2008, 12:04 PM
Rookie

Stutters like it's going out of fashion on my 4870 1GB with AA enabled at 1920x1200. Perfectly acceptable framerate but very stuttery. No stutter if I switch AA off but this game needs AA.
RAM: 4GB Corsair Dominator Twin2X PC2-8500.
Graphics: Xpertvision Radeon HD4870 1GB.
Sound: Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1.
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB.
PSU: PCP&C Silencer Quad 750w.
Old November 23, 2008, 12:47 PM
Banned
F@H

Your stutter isn't what he's asking after, he's looking for stutter induced by using more than one gpu.
Old November 23, 2008, 02:34 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

In answer to the stuttering question - "No"

Not at ANY time did I experience stuttering with a single card or in crossfire. Unfortunately as I was not able to test the 4870 & 50 in CF I can't say for sure in regards to those cards. However throughout all of the tests and even when playing the game on the 4870, in which I had AA set to X4, there was no stuttering.

On my personal PC I have been playing with a 4850 with the 8.10 drivers +hotfix 2 and have yet to experience stuttering either. I am running DX10 Custom VeryHigh/Ultra High Settings with AA on.

I will be honest though - When doing benchmarking, very rarely do I sit in front of the monitor and watch as benchmark runs through. I havn't heard any feedback on the frequency of these stutters so during a 3-5 minute run if it happens only once or twice, there is the possibility that it was missed.

For those having the problem - A few places on the net report that setting "gfx_maxfps 30". in the console will alleviate the problem - and as it forces it to run at 30FPS, you won't notice any lag unless it drops below.
Old November 23, 2008, 04:05 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

When actually playing the game, the stuttering is there in spades.
Old November 23, 2008, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I've been playing the game for weeks now on a CFX (that is 4GPU's, 2x 4870x2) setup with almost(had the messed up colours bug, but that was fixed with the 8.10 hotfix) no issues or stuttering for that matter on my end.

I donno, I'm on a Q6600 at 3.2GHz thou, so maybe the fact that my CPU is holding back my GPU's is covering it?
Old November 23, 2008, 06:02 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I wouldn't classify it as an epidemic - however it is definitely an issue for some peoples. The actual cause of the issue, I have not idea but it appears to be a combination of factors and I highly suspect part of the blame lies with something outside of simply having a ATI card and running Far Cry 2, maybe another program or specific setting?
Old November 23, 2008, 06:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm...I'm behind on these new games.

Far Cry 2
L4D
COD:WAW
Crysis: Warhead

I think I need to ask Santa for some new games to break in my new rig!
Old November 30, 2008, 01:53 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Great review, the game runs flawlessly with my two 1GB 4870s.

It is just too bad that once you get past all the flash you are left with a very boring, repetitive game.
Old November 30, 2008, 07:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good review but as people are saying somethings up with the crossfire scaling.

I found with the hotfix and 8.11 that it would switch cf off with 2x 4870's with each reboot OR the performance would drop dramatically if I loaded the game up once, exited and then loaded again.

The issue was solved by disabling cf and then re-enabling it at startup and it works.....but only for the frst time you play the game. You have to restart and do it again if you come out the game and want to play it again.

Anyway once this has been sorted out the 4870 cf scaling in XP on all settings maxed is huge...going from about 42 for one card stock to 69 with two with a mild oc (790) in the benchmark tool. Gameplay is smooth no stuttering if I follow the above procedure, if I dont it stutters.

Also I dont use AA as the drivers are bugged for that still in cf-doesn't render graphics properly but gives very high scores in the benchmark tool. I haven't a clue how any of this applies to Vista.

ATI really needs to get its driver together though as its not doing itself any favors in the reviews.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.

Last edited by magictorch; November 30, 2008 at 07:20 AM.

Tags
cpu , far cry 2 , hardware , performance , review , ubisoft , video card