Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2008, 08:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
LCDs are in no means limited to 60fps, I know this because I own an LCD and can get 200+ FPS in certain games. So that is not the problem.
But what your game says you are getting and what your monitor is physically capable of displaying are two different things aren't they?
Old October 30, 2008, 08:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm still playing Dead Space - woot! Ya I am slow. Not a lot of game time these days.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old October 30, 2008, 09:27 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
But what your game says you are getting and what your monitor is physically capable of displaying are two different things aren't they?
Yeppers. If you are making 120 fps, your monitor is only displaying every second frame that gets sent to the framebuffer. It simply cannot retrieve and display images that fast. Turn on vsync and let your GPU work at half load.
Old October 30, 2008, 09:28 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

There are quite a few 120mhz lcd TV's coming out now. I may pick up a 1080p 30-40" and try it as a monitor.

Edit: Like this one!

Future Shop: TV & Video: 30"-39" TVs: LG Scarlet 1080p 32" 120Hz LCD HDTV** (32LG60)
Old October 31, 2008, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well finally installed yesterday afternoon at about 3:00 pm and then played until about 2:00 am.

Custom install went perfectly. The game does not like the Alt-Tab combo. Had a very little bit of audio stutter right after loading from a quick save.

Had one video glitch which was character's weapon and forearms went transparent. Don't know if it wasn't a button combo that I pushed in the heat of battle that caused it. I've certainly had other games that were far more buggy even after a barrage of patches.

I know one thing for sure, there is not a surplus of ammo around and you can't waste any. Kicking fire ants between the legs may present you with a variety of targets, but you'll almost certainly get fried.

Must work now. More later.

1x240 GB Mushkin Chronos Enhanced SSD - 1x500 GB Seagate Hybrid Momentus - 1X2 TB Western Digital Green - Pioneer DVR-212D - Antec P182 - Rosewill Photon 850 - 2X24" Acer G246HYL - Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old October 31, 2008, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Because LCD monitors only do 60hz that means they can only do 60fps and anything else is dropped.
Old October 31, 2008, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good so far- but not a fan of the unsophisticated dialogue.... and since when do guns wear out after 50 shots? The game has the highest equipment maintenance regime I've ever seen.
Old October 31, 2008, 10:06 AM
MVP

heh I am thinking after exposure to MASSIVE radiation level your gun is lucky to work at all...... nah I am just making excuses I have no idea if my thinking is correct there isn't much in a regular gun that radiation would effect. I could be wrong.
Old October 31, 2008, 11:54 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Good so far- but not a fan of the unsophisticated dialogue.... and since when do guns wear out after 50 shots? The game has the highest equipment maintenance regime I've ever seen.
I haven't really done much shooting yet, but I don't think it'll be worst than system shock 2. You literally had to fix your gun every 10 shots or so with some weapons in that game.

I just got out of the sewers... I mean vault. Unimpressed so far. The dialog is very oblivionesque (crappy and mundane). As a fallout veteran I feel as if they have copied the fallout universe setting, but not the feel and spirit. Vault 101 doesn't remind me of the old vaults at all. Perhaps it's because it's no longer in isometric view, but I think a lot of it has to do with the art design as well. The overseer office is nowhere near as impressive as the old fallout ones. In the old fallout, the overseer chair is raised off the ground on a robotic column. It also comes with twin side-mounted miniguns for the overseer to dispense death to those who oppose him.

The computer terminals and vents and such are also very unfamiliar. I knew the artistic style was going to be suspect from what I've seen with their baggy vault suits and redesigned supermutants and ghouls but this is a little more digression that I like. Still, it's early in the game so I might like it better as I progress
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old October 31, 2008, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Because LCD monitors only do 60hz that means they can only do 60fps and anything else is dropped.
Unless your LCD is connected VIA an analog connection, LCD's DO NOT work like that, LCD's only update the part of an image that is changed, tearing and etc is still possible due to fast motion, but this is due the way the videocard renders frames (regardless of how an LCD works, videocards still always render FULL frames), and not how a LCD displays them, that being said tears are almost always more noticeable on an LCD than a CRT again due to the way they work and video cards work.

Sorry, just wanted to clear that up :)

[EDIT] Yes just wanted to add, even thou that LCD's don't "refresh" frames, they still cannot display more than 60fps per second, wiith the exception of some high end HDTV sets.