Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

View Poll Results: Turn Based or Real Time: What's Your Preference?
Turn Based Strategy 5 23.81%
Real Time Strategy 16 76.19%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2008, 12:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Turn Based vs. Real Time Strategy Games

I would like to open a friendly discussion on the merits of both types of games. I grew up playing turn based strategy games even before there were personal computers (there was such a time called the "dark ages").

I started playing chess when I was about four years old with my teen-aged siblings. I liked it because to win, I had to be able to anticipate as many of my opponent's moves as far in advance as possible. I knew however, the rules by which we both had to play and therefore it made it fun and challenging at the same time.

In the early "80's" I used to love playing the "Axis & Allies" board game with a group of paint balling buddies (great three day, non-stop weekend parties).

When personal computers first came out, there weren't a lot of games that you could play against other people. The internet wasn't even really an entity then.

One of my favorite games (28 to 56k modem days) to play by email was the "Panzer General" series. At the same time though, we were playing Doom via dial-up peer to peer modem and having a blast. Loved XCOM (UFO) series of squad based tactical games.

Maybe I prefer turn based as opposed to real time because I tend not to make hasty decisions; just good tactical and strategic decisions. Maybe I don't particularly like real time games because I'm no damn good at them.

I do however love strategic thinking. Maybe computer strategy games have just finally passed me by.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this subject?

It's probably poor taste, but I voted on my own poll.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!

Last edited by misterlarry; October 28, 2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old October 28, 2008, 04:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

Turn Based has some benefits, but is a terrible idea for playing online and such... just because it takes forever and some people can walk away from their computer or get distracted and so forth. Although even if your playing with people who are there with you it can get boring as your waiting for your turn.

Thats why RTS has done so well... if they walk away from their computer, they get screwed. It's not as boring.... and don't get me wrong, there are some good Turn based ones, but everything has to work a certain way for them to be fun usually.

But board games are different and they have a different social aspect to them that usually helps to fill the time left between turns... But unless you have this social aspect RTS win everytime for me.
Old October 28, 2008, 06:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I used to love the original computer-based D&D games like champions of krynn, but their time has passed- real time keeps things rolling- better for multi, and if playing single, they can always be paused if you need time to think.
Old October 28, 2008, 07:06 AM
Allstar
F@H

I feel turn based is more real strategy, too often RTS just becomes a click fest.
You need another option there though because I’d hate to pick one over the other,
both styles have their place, just depends what I feel like playing at the time.
Old October 28, 2008, 08:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My best friend is a TBS freak. I built him a computer a couple years ago thinking we'd be fragging away all night long every weekend. Nope, all he wants to play are 10 year old TBS games, lol. I tried to get him into Starcraft, CoH, Sup Com etc... but he finds RTS boring, they are all the same, I am not crazy about them either but I like them better than TBS. So needless to say when we hang out we end up playing Rock Band or God of War on PS2 because I'd fall asleep playing Panzer General or whatever and he, for the most part, does not like FPS or RTS games.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old October 28, 2008, 08:25 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I LOVED the Battle Isle series back in the old Amiga 500 days. Spent countless hours playing those. Historylines 1914-1918 was fun too.
Actually, I may have to see if any of those abandonware sites have that series available.

I prefer TBS games as so many RTS games become a clickfest and seem to come down to who can get their build order out the fastest.
Old October 28, 2008, 10:23 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Where is the 'other' option, hehe.

Seriously, the only strategy game I ever liked was Company of heroes, because it allowed you to pause the action, review the situation and cue up orders. Sort of a turn based RTS.
Old October 28, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I played Civ 4 for ages and it's turn based. I played online with a few friends, so I think if you know the people you play with it works out.
Old October 28, 2008, 11:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I like both but since there isn't a really good TBS new games, enlighten me pls, I would say I pref ere RTS.

As for a click fest yes and no I would say, RTS you basically have to have a plan of what style/strategy your going to use, no use building up your tech level if you are a rusher for instance.
Another thing is you have to be able to recognize threats and move to counter them quickly, counter them not just throw random units.

RTS is about 50% having a plan and implementing it quickly and 50% of when something goes bad how to counter it with the least damage to you.

I am the type of player that will rush then draw out while quietly hamstringing you from the side or back, turtles are my hardest opponents I would say as they tend to not be suckered in to the open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 28, 2008, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

RTS for computers for sure. Nothing like a good round of Starcraft or Generals.

I also loved playing Axis and Allies. Thats a fantastic game, and one that can go for months. Used to play it on Sunday nights once a week for a good 12 hours straight. We tweaked the rules a bit, and had 1 game last 5-6 sessions! Lots of fun.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.