Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

View Poll Results: Turn Based or Real Time: What's Your Preference?
Turn Based Strategy 5 23.81%
Real Time Strategy 16 76.19%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2008, 11:38 AM
Allstar

RTS is very fun. Actually, im a fan of almost any genre, cept for the DinerDash things LoL. I loved Risk when I was pre computers. I love CnC3. I think they dont have any superiority over any other genre.
Old October 28, 2008, 01:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

I am actually a fan of the Total War series, it combines Turn based and real time strategy quite well.

I like the managing of things through turn based but I do like combat to be real time. If I had to choose I'd probably say I liked real time more
Old October 28, 2008, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
I am actually a fan of the Total War series, it combines Turn based and real time strategy quite well.

I like the managing of things through turn based but I do like combat to be real time. If I had to choose I'd probably say I liked real time more
we think exactly the same on this.

And to people that think the rts are just click fests haven't played the good ones. There is a lot of strategry like when to build this or when to upgrade. And then there are games like world in conflict that is all strategy and team work and no click festing

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 28, 2008, 10:00 PM
Allstar

I routinely play Civ4 with a bunch of friends ... Good times ...
Old October 28, 2008, 10:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Going to have to go with RTS myself. The combination of action and on-the-fly strategy can be a really addictive combination in many cases, especially the when the environment and items have been well-designed and balanced. Mind, the click-fests get old really fast, and I personally find it frustrating to loose simply because my opponent (person or CPU) is simply able to do things faster than I can, and it happens a little too often.

On the other hand, too often, TBS's seem to be implemented as a cheap attempt to reduce the complexity of a game, rather actually trying to take advantage of the possibilities. If anyone's ever played the Disgaea games, that's what I would call a well-implemented TBS system. Or the Civilization series. Lots of variety, still lots of uncertainty present, and lots of variety. Although the amount of level-whoring required to see the later parts of those games are a little obscene, which brings me to my other beef with TBS - too many seem to embrace rampant level-whoring, and can't be bothering to make grinding those countless level interesting as well.

Have to wonder about the recent MMO Atlantica Online, which is turn-based. Almost tried the beta myself, and they've been plugging it pretty heavily in banner ads. Seems the developers accidentally added a pound of spice though - some sort of "Stamina system" which is pissing off players for various reason.
Old October 29, 2008, 08:12 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

UFO Xcom on the PC, "Nobunaga's Ambition" style of games on the NES. The pineacle of TBS.

I like Warcraft, starctaft style of games too but i'm not very leet compared to others(even if I can steamroll the CPU) and it always ends up the same 2-3 guys left to battle it out.