Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2008, 09:59 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
...COD 5 is out, went to purchase it at London Drugs BUT whoooaaa...$60!!..I cannot bring myself to spend that $$$ on a PC Video Game...
wtf dude? Don't you drop like a grand a month on hardware?
Old November 14, 2008, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
wtf dude? Don't you drop like a grand a month on hardware?
I didn't realize folks were keeping track of my Hardware budget....hardware is hardware.....software is software......we all have our limits..hahahahah! Grand a month...?...whoa..that would be some Rig :)

Old November 14, 2008, 11:09 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I'm just jealous man.

Of course I'd be more jealous if you actually played games on your uber high end rigs.
Old November 14, 2008, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Of course I'd be more jealous if you actually played games on your uber high end rigs.
That is hilarious...because...I started out simply wanting to play Crysis..thats it.."I said"!...Once I started to get "wrapped up" in "upgrading" (and a few Cocktails late at night with my Credit Card handy and all those great products @ NCIX / DC)..well..its not about playing the games anymore, although I do.....its about "building"///a friggin hobby is what its turned into!

I got buddies that Golf twice a week...expensive, I've got buddies that are into Remote Control Helicopters, expensive (especially when they crash)....this is now my hobby...is it expensive...?...relative to those hobbies, I don't think its that bad, hell Greens Fees here in the Comox Valley are around $75 @ twice a week 9 minths of the year...pricey!

Well, I just did it again, will be getting a WD Raptor (74 GB) to install, then I want to Format my HD and install (clean), my OS on the Raptor, partition my Seagate 320 GB and use that for data / games / etc...
I will very much be looking for some step by step help with this, the last time I did a complete HD Reformat and OS installation was on my Mac...some 15 yrs ago!!!

Honestly, I really get a kick out of this stuff and have very appreciated all the help that everyone on here has provided, this is a great Forum.

Old November 14, 2008, 12:53 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

We all hear you man. I have as much fun tweaking my hardware and benching and tweaking games as I do playing them. I just got sick of the outlay of money though, now I'm all about pushing the upper-mid range stuff. I ain't gonna pay the premium for enthusiast grade (another word for hose the guys who just gotta have it) any more.

I get 18,800 in 3dmark06 with my q6600/gtx 260. stable 24/7.
Old November 14, 2008, 12:56 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Also, I played FPS exclusively for 10 years, could never get into RPG or Strategy games at all. But now the hybrid action RPG's are where it's at. Think of FPS with cooler weapons/armor and a better storyline. Give Mass Effect or Fallout 3 a go.
Old November 14, 2008, 01:00 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Also also, I drag race, golf, snowboard and play in a band. There is no danger of my wallet getting fat enough to cause my right buttock to fall asleep in this chair.
Old November 18, 2008, 01:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well I must say I am now a FC2 addict, lol. This game is a total blast. I have a few gripes like with the monocule and map. I also don't like that there's no melee. And why is this Far Cry 2? It has nothing to do with FC1 and even the story is hardly worthy of a far cry moniker. I thought the devs were going for as much 'realism' as possible. So the title doesn't fit but the immersion is fantastic.

I am boating, driving, swimming and running all over the place. The gunplay is pretty solid but like FC1, the enemies have xray vision or something and often peg me off from across fields and behind bushes, wtf...? The open world is awesome, the graphics are top notch and I really like the weather and day/night cycles. The voice acting is good and I like the buddy system too. Considering I paid $15 for this game (used) and I am totally loving it, I think i just got the deal of the year.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 19, 2008, 08:43 AM
Top Prospect

Overall a good game but gets a little repetitious especially always running into goons at every check point. I have no problem exploring new ways of killing enemy AI but when you want to get from point A to point B, and you don't have a choice to or don't want to take the long way around it gets a little tiring taking out a guard post again, and again. Now, if you were getting XP points for future skills or unlocks then I would gladly go "scorched Earth" at every post. And what's with random patrols(both on foot, and vehicle)appearing out of nowhere?, and their ability to shoot blind through foliage, and hit you every time? Whatever. I like booming around looking for diamonds, and tapes, gives you a chance to explore, plus the voice over for the Jackal is very well done, and his lines are very dark.
I like this game but I have Fallout 3 sitting on my shelf staring at me, and screaming "PLAY ME PLAY ME" so as good as this game is I want it done so I can play a superior game.
Asus P5K Deluxe / Intel Core2Quad Q9550@8x425@3400mhz(1.225v) / Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / 4Gigs DDR2 1066mhz(5-5-5-15) Corsair Dominator / Diamond HD4870x2 / Asus Xonar / WD Raptor 74gb / Hitachi 160GB / Antec Quattro 850w / Logitech Z-680 5.1 / Dell Ultrasharp 24" / 2 LG Optical Drives / Vista Ultimate 32bit / A tower that's been drilled, cut, and bent to fit all of my fans
Old November 28, 2008, 01:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Well, I'm damned if I know the exact reason, but after reinstalling Windows XP, and clean installs of the latest Nvidia & Auzen drivers, the game seems to have finally quit crashing constantly. Four hours tonight without a single lock or stutter. Probably should have tried this a long time ago, but it shouldn't have been necessary and I'm going to be reinstalling/reconfiguring stuff for the better part of a week now.

Wonder if CoD:WaW be similar?