Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2008, 06:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

Question Voice server for LAN gaming?

Are there any voice over IP servers available for LAN games?

Now that I have two good computers Iím looking for a way to play
LAN games and have voice between players instead of the text entry.
Old October 14, 2008, 06:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Teamspeak
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old October 14, 2008, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

God no! Teamspeak is TERRIBLE! lol

Just use vent; run a server instance on one of the computers!

Not that Ventrilo is very good either, but it's light years better than TS!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 14, 2008, 07:04 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
God no! Teamspeak is TERRIBLE! lol

Just use vent; run a server instance on one of the computers!

Not that Ventrilo is very good either, but it's light years better than TS!
QFT, after using TS for years I made the switch to Vent and noticed much better quality/ping. IMO it's just a better program, plain and simple.

If you need a hosting service some well know ones are Darkstarllc, Typefrag, Nationvoice. I have had good luck with both Darkstar and Typefrag.
Old October 15, 2008, 04:07 AM
Allstar
F@H

ok, thanks guys, I'll give those a shot.
Old October 15, 2008, 07:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

Our clan actually uses skype now.

We started out with TS , went to Vent .....

Old October 15, 2008, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a 50 person vent server, since I've recently contemplated setting up a HWC COD4 server I thought "Hey, why not open a HWC vent server?" I really need to find time to sit down and figure out costs. COD5 is out soon too and with Starcraft coming up there is a definite potential to expand the HWC community; anyways this is off topic I just realized.. but it's definitely been on my mind lately, I wonder if the HWC gods above would approve and how much interest there would be!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 15, 2008, 11:50 AM
Top Prospect

What's skype like for group calls and can you get away with not paying for a server?
Old October 15, 2008, 12:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I have a 50 person vent server, since I've recently contemplated setting up a HWC COD4 server I thought "Hey, why not open a HWC vent server?.... "
Will said server be in Toronto or somewhere else in the continent? Just curious about pings.

Old October 15, 2008, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My current one is in Montreal, the company has Vancouver and Toronto ones available but a lot of the time they are both on backorder. The pings are great in Montreal, I like to keep my host servers here just because it protects us more, not that we do anything on the servers but we have a higher standard to protecting personal data in Canada than the US. I would host them in Canada unless I absolutely could not get good pings. But in all my years experience I've never had an problems.