Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2008, 11:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

Exclamation Starcraft 2: The thread!

Anywho, you can color me displeased when I decide to check out the gaming forum and there was no real Starcraft 2 thread. Quite displeased indeed. But, as I seem to have a bit of spare time on my hand, I figured I would start a true Starcraft 2 thread, where I'll be updating everything Starcraft.

So, I'll start with the newest, and possibly most interesting material out as of Blizzcon.

Starcraft 2 = Starcraft 2, 3 and 4? Wut?

Oh don't worry, I'm sure 10 years later Blizzard will pump out a real third Starcraft, but the real news is being that Starcraft 2 has officially been announced to be a trilogy.

Yes, you read that right, a trilogy. In a nutshell, Starcraft 2 will be broken into 3 seperate games, one for each of the main factions (Terran, Zerg and Protoss), they are as followed;
  • Terrans - Wings of Liberty
  • Zerg - Heart of the Swarm
  • Protoss - Legacy of the Void
Of course, this news brought quite a bit of a uproar from consumer as well as fans with multiple unanswered questions. Like "Are they all full priced?", "Do I need to buy all 3 to play each of the races multiplayer?", "Why are you making my wallet cry?". Ok, truthfuly, the last question was by yours truely.

On the plus side, as time went on, they decided to fill in the gaps a bit. To put it simply;
  • Yes, the games will most likely be full priced (as each will be it's own full length game). So be prepared to dish out a pretty penny for the full campain.
  • No, if you only buy the first of the three (Wings of Liberty), you will be able to play as all 3 races in multiplayer, and of course;
  • Because we can.
Ok, so your probably asking yourselves, "Why? Why the hell would they need to seperate the game into 3 seperate parts, do they really hate me that much"?.

Well, no. It's because the campains are being turned into a more hands on experience. They are pretty much adding a, what I like to call, RPG element into the game. No, not in the Warcraft 3 sense, this is created from the floor up.

The game will be full of cutscenes, like normal, but this time, we can interact with it. For example, near the beginning of the game a marine offers Jum Rayner a job, from here you can interact with the inverment, and by the sounds of things, completely change how the game progresses.

Not only that, but you are actually able to choose what planet to go to, it's no longer Map A-1, Map A-2, but instead, Map A-1, to say, Map B-2 depending on your actions.

So at least now you know why the game is being delayed for so long, it's because they are re-creating single player RTS as we know it.

Or atleast, that's what I've managed to drag out of the situation, if I misread, feel free to correct me.

Sources:
BlizzCon 2008: Starcraft II gameplay panel notes - Joystiq
StarCraft 2 to be released as a trilogy - Joystiq

Also, sorry for any typo's or nonsense in their, I feel like crap and can't fall asleep. Good times.

Old October 10, 2008, 11:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

interesting... i think it will be very interesting to see new game type... i mean it sounds like novel and play at game...

too bad... korean able to play SC2 beta...

ps. yes its little odd about full priced... but i believe one game = 1/10 of your life length... so buy money to enjoy yourself like stuff said... <.< >.>
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old October 11, 2008, 05:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The thing about 3 seperate game is quite interesting, but when is it supposed to be released?

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old October 11, 2008, 07:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Man.. i really hope it doesn't become 3 seperate games. I heard it suppose to be released in December, or has the date been changed?
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old October 11, 2008, 08:31 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inikurmoma View Post
The thing about 3 seperate game is quite interesting, but when is it supposed to be released?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar_ell View Post
Man.. i really hope it doesn't become 3 seperate games. I heard it suppose to be released in December, or has the date been changed?
There has been no release date yet, none, zero, zip, this is Blizzard after all. While I would like to believe the first part of Starcraft 2 (Wings of Liberty) would hit us during the Christmas season, it's looking more and more like an early 2009 release. Just for the fact that the RPG-lite parts of the game are not completed as of Blizzcon, as in not everything is yet interactible as intended and parts still seem "stiff" so to speak.

Old October 11, 2008, 08:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_egg View Post
There has been no release date yet, none, zero, zip, this is Blizzard after all. While I would like to believe the first part of Starcraft 2 (Wings of Liberty) would hit us during the Christmas season, it's looking more and more like an early 2009 release. Just for the fact that the RPG-lite parts of the game are not completed as of Blizzcon, as in not everything is yet interactible as intended and parts still seem "stiff" so to speak.
Plus they still have LOTS of game balancing. I will put down ten bucks that it is not coming out this year.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 11, 2008, 01:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I can only wish, it would be a damn good Christmas present though.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"