Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2008, 11:33 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Crysis Warhead Hardware Performance Review Comments Thread

(Wow that is quite the long title )

We are at it again - attempting to answer the age old question "But will it run Crysis?"

Crysis Warhead Hardware Performance Review

Our performance review is intended to provide gamers and enthusiasts alike with feedback as to what exactly to expect and look for when tackling Warhead and shows off a few of the new assets of one of the most anticipated "sequels" of the year.

Please feel free to leave comments, questions, criticisms and most importantly suggestions for future hardware performance segments!

Hope you enjoyed the review

Last edited by FiXT; October 10, 2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old October 10, 2008, 11:58 AM
Rookie

Very well written, thank you.

I remember that Crysis has a 64-bit executable that (supposedly) gives better performance for those with a 64-bit OS. Is Warhead the same in this regard? If so, I would have liked to see a comparison of performance on 32-bit vs 64-bit executables? And if not, a comparison of Crysis 64-bit to Warhead 32-bit on the Old and New page. (Unless it's used already, don't think it's stated on the page.)
Old October 10, 2008, 12:08 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Hey Zero
Thanks for bringing that up actually. Crysis Warhead does not have a 64bit support at the moment (very strange eh?)
There are talks about releasing 64bit files in the future, but as it stands, Warhead is 32bit only.

I will see if there is a place I can squeeze that tidbit in :)
Old October 10, 2008, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

A very thorough and well written benchmark. Good job mate. I never thought CPU had that much impact on FPS games. Maybe it's time to upgrade?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old October 10, 2008, 12:19 PM
MVP

Great review, I especially love the mouseover pics to show the difference, surely beat the pics side by side

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old October 10, 2008, 12:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Great review!!! The mouseover pics were a great touch.

Edit: Heh.. as they'd say on another forum... Ninja'd

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 10, 2008, 12:20 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Great review!!! The mouseover pics were a great touch.

Edit: Heh.. as they'd say on another forum... Ninja'd
Pwned

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old October 10, 2008, 01:42 PM
Rookie

I have the game and to be honest it performs like crap, 40-20-30-15fps the framerate is so sketchy it's real hard to enjoy it especially in multiplayer. I don't feal I should have to fork out more money just to play one game when I get awesome performance in all my other games.BTW good review.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________
Msi K9a2-cf-f/Phenom 9500 2.5ghz/HD 4850/2xWD3200AAKS/2gb ocz 800/Samsung 245bw/Ocz Modxstream 600w
Old October 10, 2008, 02:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yes, BIG props for the mouseover comparisons - those are, without a doubt, the best way to truly appreciate graphical differences.

Excellent review overall, in-depth, investigating a wide variety of options/settings. I'd have been a little interested to see if memory speed was worth anything at all, say a comparison between PC-8500 and PC-6400 (or some other variety of mainstream versus cheap), but that's certainly not going to have near the effect of the CPU/GPU specs.

I know Crytek has stated that their biggest priority was improving the performance at mainstream settings, which likely explains why "Gamer" has become much more forgiving, while "Enthusiast" will still made a GPU bleed. Still, there are definitely improvements to be seen across the board, in both performance and visuals.

(BTW, wouldn't hurt to stick a direct link to the review in the first post)
Old October 10, 2008, 02:47 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

As many have stated, the mouse over features definitely add that something missing to the review - Big props the oompa loompas behind the scenes for making it happen :)

@gs01
Judging by your specs, Crysis Warhead shouldn't have much trouble at all with your rig. Unfortunately as shown AMD does not perform as well with the game, but still is fairly competitive.
As you have one of the older Phenoms, are you running with the TLB patch disabled, or enabled? If enabled that might be the cause of your adverse performance. If you have it disabled, but are running Vista SP1, Microsoft arbitrarily decided to over ride that and enabled the TLB fix automatically. I believe I put up a small tutorial some time ago about how to work around it.

@MpG
Not a bad idea at all. I will keep it in mind for future reviews - provided there is enough time. I would like to expand on the Ram/OS section, unfortunately that is usually the section that takes the most time. As games become outdated so quickly after release, sometimes trade offs have to be made between more content, and just getting the most desired information out there asap.