Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2008, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
On another note... Far Cry 2 is being made by Ubisoft using their own engine. Crytek has nothing to do with it at all.

wooooops my bad

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old October 8, 2008, 10:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've been using it for a year now... no problems with any games.

KOTOR
KOTOR2
GRAW
GRAW2
COD4
Age of Conan
Crysis
Silent Hunter
CoH
PES 2008
FIFA08
NHL 08 (crap)
NBA Live 08
Old October 8, 2008, 11:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've run Vista x64 for a year, and I've had 2 issues. The Creative driver for my sound card (now fixed), and I couldn't get BF2142 to run.

I've played almost every major release in that time frame, and had no issues once I figured out how to disable User Account Control.
Old October 8, 2008, 11:07 AM
MVP

Wow - this topic got some response! Thanks to all who got back. To summarize then: 64 bit offers no major advantage in games because most games won't use more than 2 gigs of ram anyway. But 64 bit does do a decent job on the games that work with it - just not as good as good ole XP. Hmmmmmm. Makes me want to try Warhead on my XP machine now - if only it was a little more modern. Perhaps the way to go here is leave 64 bit Vista for the future and just be happy with my 32 bit Vista premi for now.
Old October 8, 2008, 11:07 AM
Allstar

Okies, heres the real deal on 64 bit OS. When you run a 32 bit appie in a 64 bit kernal, there is another little appie called an emulator thats called, or something like that...LoL to make it as simple as possibble, the remainding 32 bits are usually padded up with 0's. If you remember, a 0 is a null value. Unless it has a 1 at the end, or somewhere in the beginning. So, thats the real skinny ( explanation ) on 32 bit games in a 64 bit environment.
Old October 8, 2008, 11:54 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer-[X] View Post
Okies, heres the real deal on 64 bit OS. When you run a 32 bit appie in a 64 bit kernal, there is another little appie called an emulator thats called, or something like that...LoL to make it as simple as possibble, the remainding 32 bits are usually padded up with 0's. If you remember, a 0 is a null value. Unless it has a 1 at the end, or somewhere in the beginning. So, thats the real skinny ( explanation ) on 32 bit games in a 64 bit environment.
Okay! Now youíve done itÖ.

64bit is an operating mode of the CPU. When running in this mode 99% of the 32bit instructions are still valid.
On a lower level the 64bit instructions have a one byte pre-fix added to the existing 32bit instructions, so 32 bit programs can run unmodified.
Now all Vista has to do is make sure the program gets memory space in the 32bit range.
There is NO emulator!

IA-32 Architecture Software Developers Manual; (3M pdf)
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/manuals/index.htm
Volume 2A Chapter 2.2 IA-32E Mode

just had to clear that up.
Old October 8, 2008, 12:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadzilla View Post
Wow - this topic got some response! Thanks to all who got back. To summarize then: 64 bit offers no major advantage in games because most games won't use more than 2 gigs of ram anyway. But 64 bit does do a decent job on the games that work with it - just not as good as good ole XP. Hmmmmmm. Makes me want to try Warhead on my XP machine now - if only it was a little more modern. Perhaps the way to go here is leave 64 bit Vista for the future and just be happy with my 32 bit Vista premi for now.
Thatís about right, if you already have Vista 32 there is not much reason to buy/upgrade to 64.
If your buying a new machine then go for Vista 64.
Old October 8, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

That's a good summary. In the future games will be a lot more optimized for 64 than past stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
Thatís about right, if you already have Vista 32 there is not much reason to buy/upgrade to 64.
If your buying a new machine then go for Vista 64.