Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2008, 07:49 PM
Top Prospect

Default Gears of War PC - Problem

Hi all,

So I finally managed to snag a copy of Gears of War for the PC. I know my computer is more than capable of handling this gorgeous game and I know it runs on Vista (it does say "Games for Windows"!).

So why is it, after waiting to install it, when I run a single player campaign (or do anything for more than 4 minutes), it keeps crashing? The pop up "Gears of War has stopped operating" keeps appearing and I am forced to close it.

I can't even get past the initial opening sequence.

The game is fully patched in case you're wondering.

Help please?

Frost
| Antec 1200 Case | Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit |
Old October 7, 2008, 08:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

thats odd what version of vista do u have, and do u have sp1, and do u have NCP or CCC on use application settings and not your preset ones? haven't played this one in a while i think i have it installed though lol
Old October 7, 2008, 08:36 PM
Top Prospect

I have Vista Ultimate 64bit with SP1 and all the possible updates MS has released on it.

No NCP or CCC enabled, I turned that stuff off the moment I got Vista running.

I'm not the only one with this problem, if you go to the Gears of War PC website, there a million posts on people screaming about the same thing.
| Antec 1200 Case | Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit |
Old October 8, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The game is known to be quite buggy for some people. You should check here for help.

Gears of War (PC) Issues & Solutions - Epic Games Forums

Cheers

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old October 8, 2008, 12:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I managed to get it working for me but it took ALOT of work. There are a couple of game patches AND you have to install MS Live and MS LIVE for GAMES for it to work (and update MS Live and MS live for Games). Even after ALL the patches it would still randomly erase all your saved games (they are stored on MS Live for games and if the game crashes during a save it corrupt all your saved games). There is a way to get around this but I won't get into that as it is kind of complex.

It is possible to get it to work and it is a fun game but it take some patients and effort to get it to work.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old October 8, 2008, 09:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What is the exact message you get - is it telling you something about an illegal operation and that it could not find memory to write to ? This is a RAM issue ! when using agressive memory timings with some modules - make sure you are running the appropriate voltage and timings matching your RAM's specs - if you are using 4-4-4-12, try using 5-5-5-12 or 5-4-4-12 and run at stock speeds - I have solved 100% of my game crashing problems this way - found out my Corsair 4GB DHX cannot handle 4-4-4-12 eventhough it is advertized that way and i'M running proper voltage (2.1, etc.) RAM was good, non defective, but running at these timings made games crash for me at random times with similar errors.
Old October 8, 2008, 11:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm having a very similar problem recently with Crysis in DX10 ever since I updated to the newest 8.9 Catalyst drivers. But for me the game just crashes and no error msg at all. Same story as you, I've taken CCC off and have all my windows Vista updates. I found out what was causing the problem by going to Settings/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer right after the crash occurs. I found out its the d3d10core.dll thats become problematic and I'm noticing many more people running the 48xx series having the same woes. I dunno if this is your problem as I also recall Gears being a glitchfest but check out your Event viewer for a more detailed analysis of your crashes.