Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default NHL 09

Been doing nothing but work and need a break here and there so Im going to pick this up for PS3. The be a player thing looks cool, anyone have this already? How is it?
Old September 26, 2008, 01:13 PM
Top Prospect

Picked it up today. I've been playing the demo since it dropped, and I'm definately impressed. The online play is, at least in theory, farkin' awesome.
Old September 29, 2008, 07:36 AM
Top Prospect

I've been playing the 360 version at my friend's place for three weeks now. I haven't played a NHL game since NHL 98 on the PC so I'm not used to the analog controls but it has so far been an awesome game.

I'm getting the XBox 360 wireless controller + receiver for my PC and then buying NHL 09 when it hits the PC on October 21st. I hope I can keep the XBox 360 arrangement for controls so I can get better and kick my friends butt but so far he has the leg up since he plays everyday.

I like the stick work functions but I'm not sure how they are going to implement this on the PC. I guess you move player using WSAD and the stick using the mouse?
| Antec 1200 Case | Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit |
Old September 29, 2008, 10:33 AM

I dont think they bother with sports games on PC anymore do they?
Old September 29, 2008, 10:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

yup, but for the pc you need a game pad

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old September 29, 2008, 12:36 PM
Top Prospect

Yeah I figure the PC is a dying platform for sports games but I don't play anything but NHL 09 anyways. I used to play FIFA as well but then just stopped. NHL09 will prolly be my last venture into PC sports gaming. Everything after this will be the next next-gen console.
Old September 29, 2008, 01:20 PM

I decided to go with a PS3 when they decided not to make a madden game for pc last year. I find sports games on pc generally suck anyway, they do 90% of the dev on console.
Old September 29, 2008, 01:27 PM
Top Prospect

That is very true but I'm in an odd spot considering I didn't want to spend the $299+$49.99+$54.99 for the NHL09 on XBox 360 kit. I don't even have an HD TV so unless I hooked it up to the PC (tack on an extra $49.99 for the cable), I wasn't going to buy a 360 just for NHL09.

On the other hand, I spent under $100 to get a XBox 360 controller + receiver + Gears of War PC and then tack on the extra $60 for NHL09. Comes in well under a 1/4 of the price of the XBox 360, I now get a remote for my PC (which I've been dying to have since my old ATI Remote Wonder quit on me) plus I get to play one of the best games of the 360 on my trusty PC.

I'm a happy camper. Literally - I camp. Just kidding.

NHL 09 is the only game I really want to desperately play more on the 360. All the big games like Dawn of War II and Left 4 Dead are probably going to be more fun on the PC anyways...

Plus, I'd rather save up money for a good TV first.
Old September 29, 2008, 01:44 PM

Yeah I hear ya. I bought a PS3 for $400 basically for madden and nhl games (although GTA 4 is pretty sweet as well). Problem is I only have time to play for maybe an hour before I got to bed if Im lucky. My TV is HD, but it's a tube (yup those exist, I got it about 5 years ago) and is not the same as a big wide screen. Hell of alot better than non-HD at least, you cant even read text on a regular tv and PS3. My next purchase will be a 40 to 50 inch lcd 1080p, not for a few more months tho.
Old September 29, 2008, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Been doing nothing but work and need a break here and there so Im going to pick this up for PS3. The be a player thing looks cool, anyone have this already? How is it?
I have it, it's a must buy for hockey fans. Specifically I have the 360 version. The graphics are improved, the physics are better, the game even addresses flaws in defensive AI collapsing, goaltending positioning and the shootout versus AI.

The be a pro feature is amazing but be prepared to commit to it. I am awe inspired by the defensive stick handling, the formula for pass accuracy and the fact that checks look and feel more realistic. You can finally execute a dump and chase or dump and change routine.