Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9, 2008, 11:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
IPS > PVA in pretty much every way.

More accurate colors, better viewing angles, lower response times, less input lag.

There are many reviews & user opinions on the very subject, & the overwhelming number agree IPS is the best.

There's not really much question on this...tbh i'm a bit surprised you guys don't all know this.
Uh read the 1st page where I already talked about IPS vs PVA. Not in great detail but yes IPS is better, not news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
*VA has a higher input lag compared to IPS, but nothing most people would notice. I would say it would depend on your usage. IPS definitely offers better colour reproduction, better viewing angles, and a more uniform display, but *VA offers deeper blacks.
Hm you might have something there, but like anything no 2 PVAs are created equal. Thinking back to the 2004WFP debacle... some had serious ghosting issues, especially the HC models that came out about a year ago (maybe more?). But the 2004WFP Rev. A03 and A04 performed very nicely. A little ghosting yes, but nothing like the ridiculousness on some HC's.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old September 10, 2008, 12:20 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Uh read the 1st page where I already talked about IPS vs PVA. Not in great detail but yes IPS is better, not news.

Hm you might have something there, but like anything no 2 PVAs are created equal. Thinking back to the 2004WFP debacle... some had serious ghosting issues, especially the HC models that came out about a year ago (maybe more?). But the 2004WFP Rev. A03 and A04 performed very nicely. A little ghosting yes, but nothing like the ridiculousness on some HC's.
I understand your point; there is much more to a monitor than just the panel, so choosing based on the panel alone is not always a smart decision. However, the panel is one of the key components in determining overall performance of the monitor and definitely should not be overlooked, either.

Just so there's no confusion; input lag and response time (ghosting) are completely unrelated. Input lag is the time it takes the monitor to display the frame in relation to when it was rendered by the graphics card (similar to latency in relation to the server); a high input lag will not result in ghosting, but the delay may put you at a disadvantage in games that require good reflexes. Response time is the time it takes the pixel to change colour and a slow response can result in ghosting.

IPS panels generally offer superior input lag performance compared to *VA panels. *VA panels typically offer better response times.

Last edited by Jmac; September 10, 2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old September 23, 2008, 08:53 AM
Rookie

Hi, any opinions on the NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi 30in Monitor? I know its aver $1500 , it costs about $2200 but I believe it is a good monitor to discuss under "best monitor". I use the Syncmaster 305T at home but I am thinking about getting the NEC for work for the pivot capabilities. I would use it for Cubase, regular office work, movies and hopefully the occassional game.
thanks.
J
Old September 23, 2008, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsound View Post
Hi, any opinions on the NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi 30in Monitor? I know its aver $1500 , it costs about $2200 but I believe it is a good monitor to discuss under "best monitor". I use the Syncmaster 305T at home but I am thinking about getting the NEC for work for the pivot capabilities. I would use it for Cubase, regular office work, movies and hopefully the occassional game.
thanks.
J
That NEC is probably one of the best LCDs you can buy right now.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 9, 2008, 07:28 AM
Rookie

Does anyone here own a HP LP3065, I'm starting to lean towards that one. I like the design of the Samsung, but it makes more sense to get the S-IPS panel of the LG. I'm not sure I really like the design / quality of the LG W3000H, so the HP would be the next one up that has both the good design and good panel.