Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2008, 12:08 AM
Rookie

Default DVI and VGA help plz

AIIGHT! so basically my 22" monitor has 1 dvi and 1 vga slot.. my ps3 is connected to my 22" by dvi [hdmi to dvi]. i just ordered my computer parts, and im wonderin if i use my computer to hook up to my monitor by vga. these are my questions. [i know vga can support 1680 by 1050 cuz i hookd up my laptop to it and made that rez with a vga cable]

1- Will hoooking up my computer by vga will make my responce time higher?
2- Will the qualty be worse [ idk if the quality lowers and i cant tell the diff.]
3- Are there any downsides??

ANY FEEDBACK PLZ!
Old August 10, 2008, 01:13 AM
Allstar
F@H

imo,
1. no
2. technically yes, will you notice?, likely not.
3. no
Old August 10, 2008, 10:35 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Based on some side by each tests done where I used to work with some really picky customers on a 19" monitor at 1280x1024 resolution there is no perceivable difference between VGA and DVI. You are upping the ante to the next stage with 1680x1050 which is 35% more pixels. You might start to see some weird effects but they should be minimal if you can see them at all. The things to look out for would be jittering, shearing, and ghosting. If your computer will be near the monitor you may want to invest in a good quality shielded short cable.

Just test it out. Before you bury all your cables behind your desk try both DVI and VGA and see if you can tell the difference. Let us know what happens, please.
Old August 10, 2008, 05:54 PM
Rookie

AIIGHT!! Here is wut happnz :P.

Hooked up Computer to 1680x1050 by vga and dvi

VGA = JITTRY!! hha, sheering [dont know how to explain it] but u'll see horrizontal linez constantly movin [not literal lines but u know]

DVI = Just Normal.

Conclusion = VGA has a hard time with the higher rez monitors. its like it can only send a certain amount of info. in this case, to send much higher rez's, it must lower the quality [or somtin]. VGA has no problem for 1280x1024, but when it starts getting higher, there will be quality loss. So dont use VGA for 20"/22" or Higher native rez's ^^.

Yea, thats not forsure [the conclusion], but thats wut im guessing
Old August 10, 2008, 06:20 PM
Rookie

VGA has a lower bandwidth, that's why it can't handle the higher resolutions.
Looking for a really cheap (Or free!) pci-e videocard! Whatever state, just in working order, or even just loan it to me. I just need to test out my new hardware. PM me please, I'm located in Downtown, Vancouver.
Need testing:
Biostar Tpower I45
Intel E8400
4GB GSkill 8500CL5D
Seagate 500GB 32mb Cache HDD
2 x Corsair TX750W
Old August 10, 2008, 06:53 PM
Allstar

It really depends on the monitor. Some monitors have terrible analog support ...