Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2008, 10:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Could i dual screen with a moniter & a CRT TV?

I'm planning to do dual screen for when my new rig is done. I want to do this with my 22" wide screen moniter along with a 20" CRT tv that is about a meter away.

The video card i purchased, EVGA e-GeForce 8800GT, on the back of the box it says it has "Dual Display Support".
The tv would have to be plugged in via s-video, while the moniter on DVI, would this work?
The tv i plan to have msn messenger on it & itunes so i can change songs in the middle of a game without having to alt tab.
Old July 27, 2008, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I dont see why not, I havnt used a crt tv or monitor in awhile but back in the day I used to just fine, I run dual monitors with a 8800gt (LCD's) and use the second monitor for temps, vent,x-fire.

That said playing a game while running 2 monitors will lower your FPS by quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 27, 2008, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes you can have it run the TV and the monitor at the same time, I know I do. I have one card that runs my secondary 19" monitor and goes to my TV as well for watching movies etc.

Though as for the not having to alt tab, that will only work on some games. Lots of games will either force full screen or lock the mouse to the game window, in either case you will still have to alt tab to release the mouse so you can mess around with messenger and itunes. But at the least you would be able to keep an eye on messenger to see if anyone is trying to contact you.

I know when I game I have all my temps, fan speeds, etc. displayed on my second monitor while my game is on my main 22". It can be very useful.

Old July 27, 2008, 10:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Keeping an eye on messenger is very useful, alot of people message me lol, and i like to stay in touch. As for FPS i won't be playing any hardcore games. If thhere's an issue i may just buy a cheapie PCI vid card.
Old July 27, 2008, 10:38 PM
MVP
F@H

To put an easy answer to your question, yes, yes you can.
Old July 28, 2008, 01:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
I'm planning to do dual screen for when my new rig is done. I want to do this with my 22" wide screen moniter along with a 20" CRT tv that is about a meter away.

The video card i purchased, EVGA e-GeForce 8800GT, on the back of the box it says it has "Dual Display Support".
The tv would have to be plugged in via s-video, while the moniter on DVI, would this work?
The tv i plan to have msn messenger on it & itunes so i can change songs in the middle of a game without having to alt tab.
I've done this before, but I used the tv for watching video's playing off my computer. I just used an S-Video cable to run it from the graphics card, however if your tv doesn't support that you can get a S-Video to RCA converter.
Although it might be a pain for messenger, It won't be that easy to read unless you make the window big on the tv.