Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2008, 01:15 PM
Rookie

Default Looking for an LCD monitor 24"+ - recommendations please

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a new monitor, time to retire the Mitsubishi 930sb, even though it is only a little over a year old.

I am looking to get an LCD in the 24-30" size range.

I am considering models only with PVA and IPS panels, no TN's.

I would like at the very least an HDMI connector for future proofing, displayport would be great, but that seems to only be found in a few Dell models.

The monitor will be used for: web design, photoshop, gaming, tv and movies, surfing and email.

I would appreciate every ones opinions on this, I have been looking around all over the net and many state this segment is plagued by input lag, which shows itself in gaming, and in viewing movies, and tv shows. I would love some feedback by people with actual real world experience with these models.

Thank you.
Old July 7, 2008, 03:07 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I have the LG 246wp and I love it. 24" 1920x1200 pva panel. I set it up in dual screen clone with my old samsung 22" TN panel and the difference was incredible. And to think I was happy with the samsung.

I am unaware of any lag issues, I have 100's of hours of CoD4 and watch 1080p movies on it no problems.
Old July 7, 2008, 03:39 PM
Rookie

Hi,

Thanks for responding, I will look into that monitor, if I can find it. It is not listed on the LG.ca page, nor does it come up on RFD.

Where did you get yours and for approx what price.

Thanks
Old July 7, 2008, 03:50 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I think I have decided this is the one I will buy:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=BENQ
Old July 7, 2008, 05:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I think I have decided this is the one I will buy:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=BENQ
That is great, but seeing as it is a TN panel it really does not quite fit into this topic, I am looking for PVA IPS recommendations in the 24-30" range from people who have them.

Thanks
Old July 7, 2008, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hey Zach, I have one of those on display in the store. It has a nice picture, and it is surprisingly thin, however....it kinda looks like it is leaning one way..... Might be that silly stand.....

Edit, on second look, I think it is the rack I have it sitting on which is actually the culprit. Put it on a regular desk and it looks fine. Its a nice screen!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old July 7, 2008, 06:20 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkness View Post
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a new monitor, time to retire the Mitsubishi 930sb, even though it is only a little over a year old.

I am looking to get an LCD in the 24-30" size range.

I am considering models only with PVA and IPS panels, no TN's.

I would like at the very least an HDMI connector for future proofing, displayport would be great, but that seems to only be found in a few Dell models.

The monitor will be used for: web design, photoshop, gaming, tv and movies, surfing and email.

I would appreciate every ones opinions on this, I have been looking around all over the net and many state this segment is plagued by input lag, which shows itself in gaming, and in viewing movies, and tv shows. I would love some feedback by people with actual real world experience with these models.

Thank you.
The input lag "flaw" is greatly exaggerated. You're talking about less than 1/20th of a second (<50 ms) and, in many cases, less than half that. For most online games, your network lag is going to be equal to or greater than the monitor's input lag. I'd take the improved image quality, smoother response time, and more stable image over a TN w/ less input lag anyday.

The Dell 2408wfp seems to be the monitor to beat in this segment, at least as far as <$700 units go.
Old July 7, 2008, 06:40 PM
Rookie

Thanks for you thoughts, from what I have read it seems that for some it is not noticeable, and for others it bothers them immensely, at least there are few in the 30+ page Dell thread.

Do you have one? The input lag is also apparently noticeable on video playback, in the form of lipsync errors, what has been your experience?

I am leaning towards the Dell 24" it can be had for around $500 on occasion.

Thanks