Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old July 21, 2008, 06:36 PM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriba View Post
Who would ever hook up a standalone player too? Don't you own a TV? lol.
Sure I do. Unfortunately, my HDTV took a crap on me.

I also find higher-end monitors have better colors and viewing angles than ANY LCD TV currently on the market.
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old September 15, 2008, 11:03 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
Default height adjustment

Hi, I bought one a couple of months ago and I agree with this review. However it does have a height adjustment of sorts. There is a pin in the back of the stand, pull it out and the stand rises to max height or push monitor down and put pin back in to hold it in place. So there is a choice of two heights. I use this at home and would be frustrated but I also got a samsung 42" LCD TV which rocks with blueray. The 305T is great for all other applications. I use it to write music (Cubase), photoshop, and regular office work. I need to get a new 30" monitor for work because my Syncmaster 213T seems to be dying and I want to be able to watch Blueray movies. Any suggestions? Dell?
thanks.
J
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old December 17, 2008, 11:08 AM
SHaCK's Avatar
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South-shore (Québec)
Posts: 88
Default

hey guys,

I currently use a 2443bw 24" and watch movies all the time on it and it's good enough for me but i don't want to go down on quality either. So, what if the only movies i'm going to watch are xvids or divx downloaded from the internet (so the image quality isn't even that great to begin with) Is the 305T really that bad even for those ?

I do pretty much 3 things on my PC which is work, browsing and videos/movies, the later is quite an important aspect, that said is the 305T really a no-no for me ?

(btw, according to the reviews on NCIX, the monitor they ship is the 305T+)

any input appreciated!
__________________
Join HCF Folding Team! Team#54196
3200+ Venice/ 330 x 8 @ 1.55v / TT Big Typhoon / IHS Off
DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D
2 x 512mb OCZ Gold DDR433 @ DDR480 1.5-2-2-5
2 x WD SE16 250gb Raid-0
Sapphire X1950XT
SilverStone Strider ST60F 600Watt
TT Armor Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old December 17, 2008, 11:41 AM
Chilly's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHaCK View Post
hey guys,

I currently use a 2443bw 24" and watch movies all the time on it and it's good enough for me but i don't want to go down on quality either. So, what if the only movies i'm going to watch are xvids or divx downloaded from the internet (so the image quality isn't even that great to begin with) Is the 305T really that bad even for those ?

I do pretty much 3 things on my PC which is work, browsing and videos/movies, the later is quite an important aspect, that said is the 305T really a no-no for me ?

(btw, according to the reviews on NCIX, the monitor they ship is the 305T+)

any input appreciated!
The 305T+ (the one now sold/shipped by NCIX and others) is a great monitor, HDCP support, unlike the reviewed monitor(305T). As long as your not doing any major gaming(competitive or otherwise) or image editing, its a GREAT monitor. I loved mine back when I owned one, BUT the input lag, and MVA panel annoyed me so, that I went and bought a Dell 3007WFP-HC, and got rid of the 305T+.

One thing I gotta say it had leaps and bounds over the dell was build quality.The Dell 3007WFP, while nice and big, amazing screen, with amazing specifications, but it doesn't *FEEL* as solidly build as the 305T did. The Dell creaks, plastic housing looks, well, like the mold for it was dropped a couple times, has a slight unevenness, etc. The Samsung 305T on the other hand was, looked like they used a fresh mold every time.

Frankly had I never used/seen the Samsung 305T+ I would of never noticed the *slight* lack of build quality in the Dell. Thats not to say the Dell build quality isn't good, its great, but it pales in comparison to the 305T+.

That being said, Samsung's current line of low end stuff feels and looks like 3rd world market crap. I was looking at buy a cheapish 20" or so LCD, so I thought I'd look at Samsung, because of my past experience with the 305T's amazing build quality. The second I walked into a FutureShop to look thou I was disgusted, Samsung's low end stuff looks and feels like it was made out of cardboard made to look like plastic. Thats another topic for another day.
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old December 17, 2008, 11:59 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
That being said, Samsung's current line of low end stuff feels and looks like 3rd world market crap. I was looking at buy a cheapish 20" or so LCD, so I thought I'd look at Samsung, because of my past experience with the 305T's amazing build quality. The second I walked into a FutureShop to look thou I was disgusted, Samsung's low end stuff looks and feels like it was made out of cardboard made to look like plastic. Thats another topic for another day.
Seriously, I had a Samsung 245T and it's amazing. The screen is fantastic and the build quality is superb. I just got the Samsung 2253BW for my parents for Christmas. I went to check it for dead pixels and lets just say the quality is VERY disappointing as compared to my monitor. If I'd known the difference before I'd bought it, I probably would have spent an extra couple hundred to get a higher quality monitor.
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old December 17, 2008, 01:34 PM
SHaCK's Avatar
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South-shore (Québec)
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
The 305T+ (the one now sold/shipped by NCIX and others) is a great monitor, HDCP support, unlike the reviewed monitor(305T). As long as your not doing any major gaming(competitive or otherwise) or image editing, its a GREAT monitor. I loved mine back when I owned one, BUT the input lag, and MVA panel annoyed me so, that I went and bought a Dell 3007WFP-HC, and got rid of the 305T+.
How about movies ? i watch all my shows/movies on my PC (fullscreen, 7-9feet away from the screen) so i want good image quality.

input lag ? MVA panel ?

i'm a total monitor noob
__________________
Join HCF Folding Team! Team#54196
3200+ Venice/ 330 x 8 @ 1.55v / TT Big Typhoon / IHS Off
DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D
2 x 512mb OCZ Gold DDR433 @ DDR480 1.5-2-2-5
2 x WD SE16 250gb Raid-0
Sapphire X1950XT
SilverStone Strider ST60F 600Watt
TT Armor Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old December 17, 2008, 02:38 PM
Chilly's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHaCK View Post
How about movies ? i watch all my shows/movies on my PC (fullscreen, 7-9feet away from the screen) so i want good image quality.

input lag ? MVA panel ?

i'm a total monitor noob
The 305T+ has AMAZING black levels, amazing image quality, for watching movies, shows, surfing the web, general computing, and yes even gaming. The input lag will only annoy you somewhat in fast pas'ed games only. Unless your an uber completive gamer, I doubt you notice a difference in your scores (30ms lag from if I remember correctly, thats about a 0.03second lag, not big enough to notice in MOST cases) .

As for the MVA panel, its simply the way its built, the Dell is an IPS panel. IPS has the best colour reproduction with no crushed blacks, BUT its black levels leave a bit to be desired. MVA on the other hand has AMAZING black levels, but blacks are crushed, which leads to "colour shift". What colour shift is is depending on the angle your looking at the monitor, the colour changes *slightly*. I would say in 95% of the time its not noticeable, but its an issue if your doing heavy image editing because what you see on screen, even if 100% calibrated, may not be the colour your thinking it is.

That being said, its only an issue when your sitting directly in front of a MVA panel using monitor(1-3ft), once your further than 3ft away, black crush and colour shift all go away. Its due to the fact that black crush and colour shift is angle dependent, and once you are far enough away, your viewing angle goes from quite varried(1-3ft distance, 45Left-45Right, 90 total possible viewing degrees) to not at all(3-infinity ft distance, 5Left - 5Right, 10 total possible viewing degrees).

FYI input lag is NOT ghosting or response time, the response time of this unit is like 6ms I believe which is really good, don't confuse the two. Input lag is the lag from the time you move your mouse to when it moves on screen, while response time is how long it takes to change one pixel from white to black or other colours. Hope that helped!

Last edited by Chilly; December 17, 2008 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old December 18, 2008, 08:57 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 268
Default

It's S-PVA not P-MVA, unless they are using competitors' panels now...
__________________
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R | i7 930 | Corsair H50
G.Skill RipJaws 4x2 GB DDR3 | HIS Radeon HD 5870
3x Intel X25-M 80 GB RAID-0; OCZ Agility 120 GB | Samsung SH-S243D
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old December 18, 2008, 09:36 PM
Chilly's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
It's S-PVA not P-MVA, unless they are using competitors' panels now...
Same base technology/disadvantages/advantages, with S-PVA being slightly better.

My points and opinions remain unchanged, typo or not.

Thin film transistor liquid crystal display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Chilly; December 18, 2008 at 10:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old April 18, 2009, 06:07 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
...MVA on the other hand has AMAZING black levels, but blacks are crushed, which leads to "colour shift". What colour shift is is depending on the angle your looking at the monitor, the colour changes *slightly*. I would say in 95% of the time its not noticeable, but its an issue if your doing heavy image editing because what you see on screen, even if 100% calibrated, may not be the colour your thinking it is.
I see Samsung 305T is not suitable for any serious Photoshop processing related with picture color editing...
I had a hope that S-PVA last generation is near by S-IPS concerning low color shifting, but to all appearances it seems like no more than a fantasy, doesn't it?.....

Generally we should not trust completely any reviews...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes