Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2008, 01:12 PM
Rookie

Wow, this is painful.

His line when he implied that because it had no HDMI port it did not support HDCP was incorrect. I just wanted to point that out because it is an error in your review.

The monitor does not have an HDMI port. Correct.
The monitor does not have HDCP support. Correct.

These are not related though!!! The monitor could just as easily have had HDCP support on it's DVI port and that would have been fine. DVI and HDMI are pin-compatible. HDMI just lays them out differently and adds more pins for audio. You can always run a DVI<->HDMI cable if one thing supports HDMI while the other supports DVI.

Just run a cable like this: ACP HDMI to DVI Cable, 6ft. at Memory Express Computers
Old July 19, 2008, 02:52 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Here is the issue: most manufacturers of Blu-Ray players (I am talking about STAND-ALONE units) choose not to include a DVI output with their units. Heck, taking a cross-section of the Blu-Ray players sold at Best Buy and Future Shop shows me ZERO products with DVI-out.

Terbia, your reasoning is absolutely correct about DVI having the capability of accepting HDCP encoded signals. I just want my monitor with Displayport or HDMI, not the ages-old DVI. But that is just me...
Old July 19, 2008, 03:00 PM
Rookie

That's why I linked a DVI to HDMI cable. Connect the HDMI end to the Blu-Ray player and the DVI end to the monitor.
Old July 19, 2008, 04:52 PM

True but like it has been said already: this monitor DOES NOT support HDCP which was the entire starting point of this conversation.
Old July 19, 2008, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I just want my monitor with Displayport or HDMI, not the ages-old DVI. But that is just me...

I have to agree with Sky, if I'm spending that kind of money I want the latest and greatest. A perfect example of how to do inputs right can be seen on the Dell Ultrasharp 3008WFP 30". As you can see from the picture below they have covered pretty much all of the bases and that is what I want for that kind of money.

Sure the Dell is about $2,000 so a bit more than this one, but either way they are both 30" monitors and should have all options for inputs covered.

Old July 19, 2008, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
True but like it has been said already: this monitor DOES NOT support HDCP which was the entire starting point of this conversation.
Ahh, but does not mean it cannot play Blu-Ray Movies ;)

Currently there is NO, ie NONE, released movies on Blu-Ray that use the ICT, The only enforcement Blu-Ray players on PCs (Drives and such) require is the use of an HDCP compatible Video Card (on the latest version of PowerDVD anyways, I know, I watch BluRay on my OLD, before HDCP was even invented 23" BenQ LCD all the time)

So, I belive that HDCP, which while a Con, and disapointment is NOT a requirement assuming this moniter is only ever plugged into a PC (which frankly, is what its designed for), plugging a blu ray player via a dvi-hdmi convertor I don't know how HDCP would play nice or not.

I suggest you go back and re-test the Movie Playing aspect out :)
Old July 19, 2008, 11:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Oh, and I HATE to nit pick, but this moniter from what I see in other reviews all say it DOES have height adjustment.

Sorry, I've been looking at diffrent 30" moniters for a client of mine, so I've become somewhat well versed in a good bulk of the current 30"'ers out there :)

Infact, on the spec's picture YOU posted in the review it says its got height adjustment as well at the VERY bottom :)

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im...5T/305T-24.jpg

Again I HATE to nit pick, but I get annoyed when I see small errors, that may mislead people, like myself, I was agisnt this moniter when I first read your review because I have always put much trust in your reviews as your opnions usually mirror my own.

When I read more reviews of this moniter (as anyone should always read and research from more than one source before pulling the trigger on any $$$ item) at other sites, I noticed the mistakes in your review :S

Please don't murder me lol.

Last edited by Chilly; July 19, 2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old July 20, 2008, 08:02 AM

NIp-pick all you want, but for the life of me I couldn't get the monitor to raise up or down. I actaully have the stnad right in front of me and there is ZERO height adjustment.

Actually, I think I see the problem, the monitor Samsung sent me was the LS30HUBCB/XAA. However, the specifications they have up on their site and the specs they sent me were for the LS30HUXCB/XAA. Seems that there were a few things changed but I will contact my Samsung rep to see what they were. However, at the time of reviewing I had a conversation with Samsung and they confirmed the monitor I had did not have height adjustment.
Old July 20, 2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Ahh, but does not mean it cannot play Blu-Ray Movies ;)

Currently there is NO, ie NONE, released movies on Blu-Ray that use the ICT, The only enforcement Blu-Ray players on PCs (Drives and such) require is the use of an HDCP compatible Video Card (on the latest version of PowerDVD anyways, I know, I watch BluRay on my OLD, before HDCP was even invented 23" BenQ LCD all the time)

So, I belive that HDCP, which while a Con, and disapointment is NOT a requirement assuming this moniter is only ever plugged into a PC (which frankly, is what its designed for), plugging a blu ray player via a dvi-hdmi convertor I don't know how HDCP would play nice or not.

I suggest you go back and re-test the Movie Playing aspect out :)

Hate to say this but for high-def watching on PowerDVD with my Pioneer BDC 2202 player and a HD4870 or even a 9800GTX with PurevideoHD, watching in 1080P is NOT possible. Sure you can watch a DVD at lower resolutions but HD content is a no-go.

I will also draw your attention to BeHardware's review of this monitor. THey seem to have experienced the same incompatibility as I did:

The new 30 inch monitors: Dell and Samsung (page 8: Samsung SyncMaster 305T) - BeHardware

Secondly, and this is what really hurts this product, is that its DVI interface isn't HDCP compatible. With a monitor of this size this is more than a problem!

Samsung and our tests with a Blu-Ray movie confirmed this non compatibility.
Old July 20, 2008, 11:58 AM
MVP

Thanx for the review; i'd somehow overlooked it before.

This display is pretty much that last 30" i would consider buying.

S-PVA = no way. For $1000+, i want *-IPS. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice monitor (i've used it at work), but i wouldn't replace my 3007WFP with it.

And no HDCP is hilariously bad.

If Samsung priced this dirt cheap, it might be worth it.

But when you are willing to spend the money for a 30", you want at least very close to the best...& this display is on the other end of the spectrum.
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64