Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30, 2008, 08:42 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default How to forca a monitor to stay on?

I am trying to do some BIOS changes for OCing my RAM and every time I reboot my monitor goes into power saving mode. This makes it hard for me to to see the POST text. I am having problems with the MB not liking the RAM (I think) so often the comp will just not boot and I have no idea if it displayed anything before locking up.

What I am looking for is a way to make the monitor stay on; I can imagine there might be a way to trick it by hacking the cables. I have tried to search for this but have had little luck. I just get a million false hits on how to alter the windows power saving settings. Right now I am using an LCD monitor connected by DVI and from what I can understand by reading the DVI spec the hibernation is linked to the horizontal clock so it would not be simple to fake the signal. I would be willing to switch to a tube as they are much more tolerant of weird old signal standards that predate anyone caring about power saving.

Has anyone ever seen or done anything like this? Thank you in advance.

I really hate machines that "help".