Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19, 2017, 09:37 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Active Display Port Cable?

Hey gang,

Gonna pull the trigger on my monitor this week. Right now I've been running a DVI-D cable for my video needs and if I'm going to use GSync I need to swap out to DisplayPort to my understanding. Here's where things get tricky for me. My PC is currently on the other side of the room, almost literally behind where I sit. It's about 20-25ft (10M) of cable length away as I run it. Looking at DisplayPort cables it seems that as soon as I cross the 10ft barrier I suddenly need an active cable.

I've been looking at the DISPL10MA cable from StarTech which claims to be a full 10M long and active. I just have a few questions.

1.) Has anyone else has this problem? If so how did you solve it?

2.) Will using an active cable induce any lag in the video?

3.) Will this cable do what I want it to do?

Thanks guys!

- Skip
Old March 19, 2017, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

From my Googling, it seems that anything above 15ft would only support 2K resolution. Startech does have non-active 25ft cable but it doesn't support 4k.

https://www.startech.com/Cables/Audi...s~DISPLPORT20L
Old March 20, 2017, 05:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I was afraid of that. I'm probably just going to have to move my desktop if I want to take advantage of the faster refresh rates.
Old March 20, 2017, 05:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Are you running more than 2 monitors? If not, you may be able to get away with using non active cable / adapter. I don't see why StarTech is charging a butt load for active cable when you can just add an adapter to the cable for less money.
Old March 21, 2017, 06:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Nope just the one.