Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3, 2017, 08:38 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default AMD's FreeSync 2 - To HDR & Beyond - COMMENT THREAD

FreeSync is arguably one of the fastest-growing display technologies available today. In order to bring it into the next generation with HDR support and other feature, AMD is now introducing FreeSync 2.

Read more here: AMD's FreeSync 2 - To HDR & Beyond
Old January 3, 2017, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Interesting. Since I dumped my money into G-Sync I haven't been following FreeSync that closely.

But, about the info in the second last para... You must have an opinion about what is going on there? Why are they seemingly making it so hard to be FreeSync 2 certified? Perhaps appealing to the idea of it being a premium solution but as you alluded to that could just result in it going nowhere due to too little adoption. I'm not sure I understand their approach here.

And also, maybe I am misinformed about my own tech, but doesn't G-Sync run "agnostically to game engines" as you said about FreeSync 1? I had always considered that as a valuable aspect of the tech; being able to have the G-Sync benefit across the board with new games, old games, etc. Why would AMD be wanting to make it so exclusive? Is having HDR that attractive to people?
Old January 3, 2017, 11:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

To me, this is AMD learning from their past mistake - AMD wants to exert control to make absolutely sure that monitors that claim to be Freesync 2 compatible actually are and will provide the full feature-set.

Where this lesson came from - Nvidia using the G-Sync module to ensure that the effective G-Sync range is reflected on all monitors carrying the G-Sync brand, whereas AMD's theoretical freesync range was irrelevant as they were at the mercy of the scalar the manufacturers would use for the ACTUAL effective freesync operational range.

It can be confusing to understand all of the features of Freesync and what is actually supported on a particular monitor. With Freesync 2, they are trying to make assurances that the monitor side of the equation will fully support everything that is expected of it.

Old January 3, 2017, 12:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
To me, this is AMD learning from their past mistake - AMD wants to exert control to make absolutely sure that monitors that claim to be Freesync 2 compatible actually are and will provide the full feature-set.

Where this lesson came from - Nvidia using the G-Sync module to ensure that the effective G-Sync range is reflected on all monitors carrying the G-Sync brand, whereas AMD's theoretical freesync range was irrelevant as they were at the mercy of the scalar the manufacturers would use for the ACTUAL effective freesync operational range.

It can be confusing to understand all of the features of Freesync and what is actually supported on a particular monitor. With Freesync 2, they are trying to make assurances that the monitor side of the equation will fully support everything that is expected of it.
That idea certainly makes sense, especially given things mentioned in the article like the low framerate compensation that isn't on all FreeSync 1 monitors. However having the tech have to be supported by the game engine seems risky to me. If FreeSync 2 monitors end up being expensive, and I then need to know that games in the future are going to have to support it directly, I think I would be less likely to take the chance as a consumer. I would much rather have a reduced feature set (perhaps...) that works everywhere rather than a higher end feature set that is only supported in a few places.

Is it perhaps possible that they could change direction and get a FreeSync 1.5 certification, I'm making that up, that is improved but implemented in hardware only? Maybe that would be a better step to get FreeSync more standardized in the market.
Old January 3, 2017, 01:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I don't see how any of this makes any sense. Basically they are structuring their own market in a way that Freesync 1 will be a poor man's Freesync 2.

Quote:
FreeSync 2 aims to clear up feature level support by offering a one-stop holistic shop for all the best offered by the technology
So that's basically telling people who bought a freesync monitor recently that they bought a sub-optimal product and that to enjoy the tech as it should be you need Freesync 2.

Old January 3, 2017, 05:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It felt like FreeSync as a brand was/is becoming diluted. Nearly every LG monitor released now features it. Even the eBay-type Korean monitors have it. It was starting to look like anyone could do it.

When I think of FreeSync & G-SYNC, I associate it with offering >60FPS output. I'd take a guess and say all 18 G-SYNC models run >60FPS whereas there's probably <18 FreeSync models that do so. Boasting 121 models doesn't mean much if there isn't any standards being enforced.

I just wish AMD & NVIDIA could sit down together and come up with a single standard. It's silly that your monitor or GPU limits your choices.
Old January 3, 2017, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

First, the article isn't showing up on the main page, only saw it because of the forum post.

Now, I'm torn about this. I think they are doing it half right. Yes coming out with Freesync 2 that has a specific set of standards is a good idea, but continuing to sell the older ones is a bad idea. I really believe that having both is just asking for people to complain about not getting what they thought they were getting. But the most baffling part is the idea of the game engine needing to support it. This pretty much guarantee's the Nvidia backed games won't support it and of course any current games won't either. Why would anyone want to buy into that?

But truthfully I just want to see a few more options for ultrawide 1440p IPS g-sync monitors, ideally a nice Dell one.
Old January 3, 2017, 08:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
But truthfully I just want to see a few more options for ultrawide 1440p IPS g-sync monitors, ideally a nice Dell one.
One can dream...

Kind of glad I bought my U3415w shortly after it was available for sale. It's taking a lot longer than I thought for 144Hz (or even 120Hz) ultrawide 1440p panels to exist.
Old January 3, 2017, 10:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
One can dream...

Kind of glad I bought my U3415w shortly after it was available for sale. It's taking a lot longer than I thought for 144Hz (or even 120Hz) ultrawide 1440p panels to exist.
I know the feeling. There are a few brands that have had 25" 1440p 60hz monitors for a while...I am dying for one of them to use that panel and give it Freesync an a slight refresh rate bump (even 75hz would be fine).