Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 4, 2016, 07:07 AM
Rookie

Default Monitor Ultra-wide 34 No G-Sync or Wide 27 with G-Sync

Hello,

I am stuck, which Monitor to choose.

An Ultra-Wide Monitor 34, 3440 x 1440, Without G-Sync.

Or

A Wide Monitor 27, 2560 x 1440, With G-Sync.

The deal here is if G-sync worth to scarify the huge large size of 34, 3440 x 1440 or No it is not?!?!?

My Build List : https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Dolomats/saved/

***NB: Please justify your choice :p***

I will give you two example of Monitors who illustrate this:

Ultra-wide : https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yhM...monitor-u3415w

Wide : https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ttn...-xb271hubmiprz

Thanks you.

Last edited by Dolomats; September 4, 2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old September 4, 2016, 09:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Just so you know, LG announced a 34" 144Hz last week. Not sure if it will be G-SYNC or not, but that means the panel will exist and I'd imagine Acer or ASUS would add the G-SYNC module.

Acer and ASUS already have G-SYNC 34's, but they're only 100Hz (overclocked 60Hz panels as far as I know) and cost about $600 over a non-G-SYNC model.

I personally love my U3415w, so I'm obviously biased
Old September 4, 2016, 09:29 AM

My System Specs

Unless you can drive your refresh rate 100% of the time, an active refresh rate tech (gsync/freesync) is required IMO. The smoothness it provides helps a lot w/ immersion. Without a doubt i'd go w/ the 27".
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old September 4, 2016, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Unless you can drive your refresh rate 100% of the time, an active refresh rate tech (gsync/freesync) is required IMO. The smoothness it provides helps a lot w/ immersion. Without a doubt i'd go w/ the 27".
This is probably one of the most important factors. Keep in mind how high you want your eye candy settings and what GPU you're pushing. If you're on a 970 and really like high/ultra settings, you're not going to maintain 60fps let alone 100+ on a lot of games so the 144HZ is a bit of a waste.

If you want silky smooth twitch shooters and can live with the settings turned down to maintain a frame rate, then sure 100+ hz will look really smooth. I guess it depends on what your priorities are and what games you tend to play. In most genres outside of games like COD, Unreal, etc, the cost vs return of a high refresh monitor isn't worth it IMO (and I had a 120hz monitor in the past). I'd lean for Gsync myself.
Old September 4, 2016, 01:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Just so you know, LG announced a 34" 144Hz last week. Not sure if it will be G-SYNC or not, but that means the panel will exist and I'd imagine Acer or ASUS would add the G-SYNC module.

Acer and ASUS already have G-SYNC 34's, but they're only 100Hz (overclocked 60Hz panels as far as I know) and cost about $600 over a non-G-SYNC model.

I personally love my U3415w, so I'm obviously biased
So you have this monitor! Are you gaming on it? How it perform? Do you notice the low refresh rate what is the cons and pros?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
This is probably one of the most important factors. Keep in mind how high you want your eye candy settings and what GPU you're pushing. If you're on a 970 and really like high/ultra settings, you're not going to maintain 60fps let alone 100+ on a lot of games so the 144HZ is a bit of a waste.

If you want silky smooth twitch shooters and can live with the settings turned down to maintain a frame rate, then sure 100+ hz will look really smooth. I guess it depends on what your priorities are and what games you tend to play. In most genres outside of games like COD, Unreal, etc, the cost vs return of a high refresh monitor isn't worth it IMO (and I had a 120hz monitor in the past). I'd lean for Gsync myself.
I have GTX 1080, I am playing most of time GTA, and I certainly want the game to be smooth as much as possible.
Old September 4, 2016, 02:39 PM

My System Specs

IMHO once you get use to a high refresh rate it is hard to go back. Anything under 90FPS looks rather terrible to me these days. A GTX1080 should be able to drive most games @ 2560x1400 w/ high detail and high refresh rate.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old September 4, 2016, 03:59 PM
Top Prospect

If you really want a 34" you can get the ones with Gsync unless you want to save a bit of money cause they're still expensive. Also just an fyi for the Acer 27" you want, it has a flimsy stand, so make sure you have a very solid desk or a monitor mount or its going to shake a lot. Check out video reviews on youtube.
Old September 4, 2016, 04:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolomats View Post
So you have this monitor! Are you gaming on it? How it perform? Do you notice the low refresh rate what is the cons and pros?
Generally speaking, everything I play runs at least 60FPS on my 980 Ti, so no complaints with gaming. I've never owned G-SYNC though so I can't make that comparison. The best I can say is that I have used the Acer X34 Preadator in-store and it did seem smoother, but it was also a game I've never played.

I love the increased FOV though and thankfully pretty much every recent game I've played, other than Overwatch (or any Blizzard game), supports 21:9.

I don't see myself ever going back to 16:9/10 monitors though. I'll definitely consider upgrading to the "next gen" of ultrawides though.

And for reference, this is the new LG that's coming: LG 34UC79G-B | LG Electronics DE (only seems to be on the German and Chinese site). Just noticed it's only 2560x1080 though

Last edited by JD; September 4, 2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old September 5, 2016, 09:56 AM
Rookie

Thanks guy's for you precious opinion
Old September 5, 2016, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Generally speaking, everything I play runs at least 60FPS on my 980 Ti, so no complaints with gaming. I've never owned G-SYNC though so I can't make that comparison. The best I can say is that I have used the Acer X34 Preadator in-store and it did seem smoother, but it was also a game I've never played.

I love the increased FOV though and thankfully pretty much every recent game I've played, other than Overwatch (or any Blizzard game), supports 21:9.

I don't see myself ever going back to 16:9/10 monitors though. I'll definitely consider upgrading to the "next gen" of ultrawides though.

And for reference, this is the new LG that's coming: LG 34UC79G-B | LG Electronics DE (only seems to be on the German and Chinese site). Just noticed it's only 2560x1080 though
Technical Data says native is 3440
Native Auflösung 3440 x 1440

I love my 34" LG, but I'm definitely going to keep my eye out for a Gsync LG 21:9 or see if the ASUS one ever hits a decent sale.

Tags
gsync , monitors , utrawide