Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   Acer Predator XB271HK 27" 4K Monitor Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/72230-acer-predator-xb271hk-27-4k-monitor-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL March 21, 2016 06:28 PM

Acer Predator XB271HK 27" 4K Monitor Review Comment Thread
 
Well you guys asked for it.....:thumb:

Acer's latest Predator monitor, the 27" XB271HK, has everything we could possibly want: G-SYNC, 4K resolution, a 10-bit IPS panel and a sub-$900 price. Could this be gaming perfection?


Read more here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...or-review.html

Lysrin March 21, 2016 07:49 PM

Wow. OK so I only speed read the review because it is late here but what I did get out of it was pretty impressive, especially given the relative price. One question remains for me, and perhaps AkG commented on it and I missed it: can you really do 4K on a 27" screen and be able to read text at normal sizes? I have seen lots of folks comment that no, it doesn't work well, and you have to get into DPI scaling which is still a bit of a dog's breakfast as far as I understand. So what did you think of doing the non-gaming, non-movie watching activities on this monitor? Again sorry if it's there and I read past it... zzzzz... Thanks!

Oh and one other question :) could a 980 push enough fps when combined with G-Sync to get a nice gaming experience or is it still really 980 Ti territory?

IRQ Conflict March 21, 2016 07:58 PM

"has everything we could possibly want: G-SYNC" I don't see freesync listed.:bleh:

Lysrin March 21, 2016 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict (Post 819122)
"has everything we could possibly want: G-SYNC" I don't see freesync listed.:bleh:

Like it said, everything we could possibly want... I don't see the problem?
:bleh::bleh:

IRQ Conflict March 21, 2016 08:07 PM

Oh snap!

AkG March 21, 2016 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysrin (Post 819120)
Wow. OK so I only speed read the review because it is late here but what I did get out of it was pretty impressive, especially given the relative price. One question remains for me, and perhaps AkG commented on it and I missed it: can you really do 4K on a 27" screen and be able to read text at normal sizes? I have seen lots of folks comment that no, it doesn't work well, and you have to get into DPI scaling which is still a bit of a dog's breakfast as far as I understand. So what did you think of doing the non-gaming, non-movie watching activities on this monitor? Again sorry if it's there and I read past it... zzzzz... Thanks!

Oh and one other question :) could a 980 push enough fps when combined with G-Sync to get a nice gaming experience or is it still really 980 Ti territory?

'Normal sizes' is a rather vague term. Running windows 10 I had zero issues once I set everything up. Did this take a while... oh hell yes. This is not a plug and play monitor. BUT once it was setup text is razor sharp. Right now Im using an X34... and missing the X271HK all ready. Text is just not as sharp. Just wish they made a 34-inch version as it probably would be the best of both worlds. Sharp text... but less setup issues.

Could a 980 push it? Sure. G-Sync is what makes it possible. You could probably do it with a 970. Will you have to worry about the "60FPS limit"... probably not. But gaming is certainly possible!

For an idea on what you need... this monitor demands 497.6 million pixels per second to max it out. This is about the same as a 1440P monitor at 135 frames per second. To hit 30fps its about the same as 1440P at 68FPS. So it is high... but doable with one 980.

SugarJ March 21, 2016 09:44 PM

So say you have a 980Ti that can push 4k at 40 FPS or 1440P at 65 FPS (for argument's sake, not looking up benchmarks right now) which monitor would you pick? I'm leaning towards the 1440P Gsync myself but I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Bond007 March 22, 2016 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 819126)
'Normal sizes' is a rather vague term. Running windows 10 I had zero issues once I set everything up. Did this take a while... oh hell yes. This is not a plug and play monitor. BUT once it was setup text is razor sharp. Right now Im using an X34... and missing the X271HK all ready. Text is just not as sharp. Just wish they made a 34-inch version as it probably would be the best of both worlds. Sharp text... but less setup issues.

Could a 980 push it? Sure. G-Sync is what makes it possible. You could probably do it with a 970. Will you have to worry about the "60FPS limit"... probably not. But gaming is certainly possible!

For an idea on what you need... this monitor demands 497.6 million pixels per second to max it out. This is about the same as a 1440P monitor at 135 frames per second. To hit 30fps its about the same as 1440P at 68FPS. So it is high... but doable with one 980.

My question to you is, on a 27" screen do you think there is an evident improvement in clarity by having 4k over 1440P (assuming all else equal....color reproduction/refresh rates/etc)?

The reason why I ask it that at ~21" 1080p is fine IMO. I find around a 23-24" screen the max for a monitor at 1080p. Then 27" I preferred 1440p. Having not played with any high end monitors, I am wonder what your take is on strictly resolution at that size. Is it notable? Is it worth pushing all the extra pixels?

SKYMTL March 22, 2016 04:46 AM

Quote:

So say you have a 980Ti that can push 4k at 40 FPS or 1440P at 65 FPS (for argument's sake, not looking up benchmarks right now) which monitor would you pick? I'm leaning towards the 1440P Gsync myself but I'm interested to hear your thoughts.
If there was a 34" 4K non ultra-widescreen monitor with G-SYNC I'd go for that in a heartbeat. While Anthony loves the 4K aspect of this 27" monitor, I'm mostly ambivalent to it since from my playing distance of about 24" I really can't see all that much of a difference between my 27" Dell 1440P and 27" 4K Predator. Maybe some see the benefits of 4K on a slightly smaller screen but I don't so I'd go with the higher framerate 1440P.

Lysrin March 22, 2016 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 819145)
If there was a 34" 4K non ultra-widescreen monitor with G-SYNC I'd go for that in a heartbeat. While Anthony loves the 4K aspect of this 27" monitor, I'm mostly ambivalent to it since from my playing distance of about 24" I really can't see all that much of a difference between my 27" Dell 1440P and 27" 4K Predator. Maybe some see the benefits of 4K on a slightly smaller screen but I don't so I'd go with the higher framerate 1440P.

How about a 32" one? I might have put this in another thread but here is it again:
Acer Predator XB321HK Bmiphz 32IN G-SYNC 4K IPS Gaming Monitor 3840X2160 4ms HDMI Dport Speakers - UM.JX1AA.001

This one tempts me for sure because it would get the screen size up to not have to mess with DPI.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:56 AM.