Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2016, 10:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

How do you like the predator? BLB, Glow, etc.
Heatware
Old June 19, 2016, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
How do you like the predator? BLB, Glow, etc.
I am super pleased with it. I think I can echo what others have said. Is there BLB, yes on my model a little. Most noticeable in the top left corner with a little bit also visible on the top right. On a desktop like in my photo with normal icons and a dark to black background neither one is noticeable during regular use. When comparing to my Dell U2711 which was a pretty venerable monitor in its day it also had a little BLB in the top corners. The BLB in the top left of my X34 is a little worse than was on the U2711 but only slightly. And again nothing that you see when using the normal desktop with icons there or in any of the games I have played do far. You can certainly see it if you do the black screen in a dark room test, but yeah... that hardly ever a real use scenario for me. If you were watching a movie in a dark room that was some aspect ratio that allowed it to have letterbox bars on the top and bottom on a 21:9 screen (is that even possible?) then I think you would see the top left bleed a bit. But again, that is such a rare situation I think it's hardly worth mentioning. But I did mention it in the interest of full disclosure! Should there be any BLB in a monitor that cost this much? Probably not. But it is what it is and I was well informed that they had some before I bought.

In terms of glow it seems like a normal IPS to me. It is so much better to look at and easier on the eyes that my U2711 was since that monitor had such a terrible anti-glare coating. So for me the X34 is crystal clear and I don't see any glow that I haven't seen on other IPS panels. It is minimal and frankly not an issue to my eyes.

And the final sum up really is the overall experience that trumps the minimal BLB and what I think is just a normal amount of glow (really I don't notice the glow to be honest). Playing games in 21:9 at 3440x1440 with G-Sync is really just something to behold. It is the gaming experience I have been searching for for a long time now. Yes this monitor was expensive even used, but I am so pleased with it. The first night I fired up The Division, ESO, Elite Dangerous, World of Tanks, etc. I was giddy! My wife, patient and long-suffering woman that she is, came into the study over and over to my endless "Honey! You have to see this!!"

Anyway, I love it. No regrets. Some slight technical flaws in the unit I got with the bit of BLB but it is so minimal compared to the overall experience that it becomes insignificant in my mind. And you really can't see it unless you actively look for it and trust me, once you're playing a game or a movie that is 21:9 you'll be sucked in; you won't be looking for it anymore.

That's a little long... I like it. I really like it Thanks again to all the folks that wisely told me to keep my 980 and get a G-Sync monitor. Absolutely solid advice!
Old June 19, 2016, 07:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysrin View Post
Basking in the glow of the ultrawide Haven't taken any new ultrawide Elite Dangerous screenshot yet so these will have to do for now.
Congrats on finally making it. You have now ascended!
Old June 19, 2016, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Congrats on finally making it. You have now ascended!
Thanks! As you can tell, I am very impressed!