Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2016, 07:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysrin View Post
I was wondering how your 980 would handle it since I also have a 980.
I played some Witcher 3 almost maxed out (shadows to high instead of ultra, Hairworks off, AA off) and Fallout 4 maxed out and it was generally staying between 50-60 fps in Witcher and run 60+ in Fallout most of the time. It would dip to 30-40 in Witcher while running around in some of the big towns but G-Sync smooths everything out so it's really not an issue. In fallout, it would drop at around 30 in the wooden areas during the daytime and I'm pretty sure it would drop in this particular scenario because of the "godrays" they have in the game. Beside those two games I've played ESO and BDO. ESO runs at 70+ most of the time maxed out and dips to ~50 in some of the towns. BDO can be quite resource intensive and the game would run at around 30 in Calpheon (huge capital city with tons of npcs and players around) or while raiding and around 45-55 outside of the towns and normal gameplay.

G-Sync smooths everything out though, it's really impressive and you notice the difference right away. My brother dropped by to check the monitor out and even sitting beside me while playing he could notice the difference with G-Sync. I was a little bit skeptical with the whole G-Sync stuff, like sure I believed it made a difference, but you only really realized how much of difference it makes when you spend time with it.

I would have liked to test it with GTA and the new Tomb Raider but I don't have these games yet. I think they are more demanding than Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 so they could be good candidates to test with G-Sync and lower refresh rates.

Old April 11, 2016, 10:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That's just beautiful... *sniff* :) Very nice set up!
Old April 28, 2016, 12:36 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

NCIX has them for $1499 right now, would really like to see one before I drop that kind of coin though.
Old April 29, 2016, 06:26 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I believe some NCIX stores have this on display. I don't see why they wouldn't....
Old April 29, 2016, 06:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Now I just need an NCIX in Halifax :) Just curious, does anyone in Halifax know of a PC store or shop that has this on display? I haven't checked BestBuy in a while but the smaller shops I know of don't have them available or set up. It's a PC wasteland out here! lol
Old April 29, 2016, 08:20 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverkillYJ View Post
NCIX has them for $1499 right now, would really like to see one before I drop that kind of coin though.
Other than some bleed on the top left hand of my x34, it is fantastic. I am really impressed with what it can do and everyone that has seen mine has said the same. I know it is allot of cheddar to plunk down before you see it, but I would be amazed if you didn't like it. Unless you got a dud, but that could be replaced. Also seems that allot of the initial qc problems have been solved.

My $0.02

Dick Kickem
Old April 29, 2016, 08:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm with Turtle on this. For sure it's a big decision, and I can understand it's even a bigger decision to get one without having seen it, but there's absolutely no way you would be disappointed with it. I absolutely love mine and from a purely gaming perspective, it's probably one of the best purchase I made. I spent thousands of dollars on gpus in my life and the level on enjoyment was no where near what you get from an x34.

I got mine from ncix about 3 weeks ago now and it was manufactured in March 2016, so I would assume that the ones they have in stocks are all recent, but like Turtle mentioned, even if you get a dud it can be replaced and you can always get ncix zero dead pixel coverage.
Old May 9, 2016, 01:42 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post
I played some Witcher 3 almost maxed out (shadows to high instead of ultra, Hairworks off, AA off) and Fallout 4 maxed out and it was generally staying between 50-60 fps in Witcher and run 60+ in Fallout most of the time. It would dip to 30-40 in Witcher while running around in some of the big towns but G-Sync smooths everything out so it's really not an issue. In fallout, it would drop at around 30 in the wooden areas during the daytime and I'm pretty sure it would drop in this particular scenario because of the "godrays" they have in the game. Beside those two games I've played ESO and BDO. ESO runs at 70+ most of the time maxed out and dips to ~50 in some of the towns. BDO can be quite resource intensive and the game would run at around 30 in Calpheon (huge capital city with tons of npcs and players around) or while raiding and around 45-55 outside of the towns and normal gameplay.

G-Sync smooths everything out though, it's really impressive and you notice the difference right away. My brother dropped by to check the monitor out and even sitting beside me while playing he could notice the difference with G-Sync. I was a little bit skeptical with the whole G-Sync stuff, like sure I believed it made a difference, but you only really realized how much of difference it makes when you spend time with it.

I would have liked to test it with GTA and the new Tomb Raider but I don't have these games yet. I think they are more demanding than Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 so they could be good candidates to test with G-Sync and lower refresh rates.
Would you be able to test it in games such as Metro 2033, Metro Last Light, Far Cry 4, and GTA IV? Those are the ones that I am curious about. I won't be buying such a monitor anytime soon (it's cost is equivalent to that of an entire system build) but if it ever goes down below a certain price point I may be intrigued. The other problem is that it looks like it needs SLI or Crossfire at the minimum to maintain a certain fps level.
Old May 9, 2016, 03:33 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Would you be able to test it in games such as Metro 2033, Metro Last Light, Far Cry 4, and GTA IV? Those are the ones that I am curious about. I won't be buying such a monitor anytime soon (it's cost is equivalent to that of an entire system build) but if it ever goes down below a certain price point I may be intrigued. The other problem is that it looks like it needs SLI or Crossfire at the minimum to maintain a certain fps level.
Only game I have from that list is Metro 2033 and it's the original version, not sure if the one they re-release about 1 year ago has better graphics or not.

3440x1440 is much easier than 4K to run and probably won't be a problem with the new PASCAL cards.

I've been playing a crap load of ESO, Witcher 3 and Alien Isolation. The latter one is a joke, 80+ FPS no problem. ESO is averaging about 60-70 and sometimes it drops in the mid-40 when there tons of players/npc on the screen. Witcher 3 is totally playable with some option tweaking. GSync really help though.
Old June 18, 2016, 08:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Basking in the glow of the ultrawide Haven't taken any new ultrawide Elite Dangerous screenshot yet so these will have to do for now.
Attached Images