Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2016, 11:59 AM
Rookie

I nearly pulled the trigger on 2 of these, but then news came of Asus's new 34" ROG IPS panel, so I'm waiting until next month to see how they are holding up. THey too must be overclocked to get 100hz, and I have concerns about how these panels will stand up to this long term - why even MAKE them be an "o/c" feature and not just clock them at 100 from the factory makes one wonder wth is going on with that. I have several ROG Swifts, 2 IPS and one not, and have been very happy with these 27" 1440p LCDs, all but one of our gaming PCs is using these, the other the Acer 4k 28" Gsync LCD. Acer has come a long way, which is why we considered buying these 34" curved Acer monitors, but I still think I'll wait and see how the Asus compares to it.

I too plan on powering my 34" lcd(s) with new Pascal cards, probably SLI - seeing how the Acer 4k with 980 sli and 980ti SLI systems can struggle for FPS in some 4k programs makes me wonder how a 34" at 1440p will fare - I'll likely proceed as other posters did and just buy whichever LCD between the Asus/Acer Gsyncs I think best next month, and power them with 980/tis for now and hope for the best until Pascal comes along.
Old March 1, 2016, 05:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

IMO your a bit nuts to drop that kind of cash on a screen when the market is changing so fast..

Holding out for 34", 3440x1440, 144hz, G-sync/free-sync OLED myself.
Or an ips at a better price at least.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old March 1, 2016, 08:44 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Too much money.
Old March 1, 2016, 11:20 AM
Rookie

"Holding out for 34", 3440x1440, 144hz, G-sync/free-sync OLED myself."

That's what the new Asus 34" is, minus the 144hz. 1440P, 100hz, gsync, IPS. I've been running 144hz since nobody really heard of it, I bought the very first 144hz capable LCD many years ago, and went to the 24" Asus 144hz "gaming" LCD, then the ROG Swifts (I have both nonIPS and IPS versions). The difference between 60 to 100hz is immediately easily to see, but the difference between 100 and 144 or 165 isn't really that visible - IMO anything over 100hz is alright, although I would prefer a 144 or 165hz 34" too.

$ isn't an object, I'm retired a have plenty of time to use this stuff. I usually sell stuff yearly anyway and just pay for the upgrade cost - sort of like leasing a vehicle every year or two.
Old March 1, 2016, 12:47 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Holding out for 34", 3440x1440, 144hz, G-sync/free-sync OLED myself
144Hz + that resolution is impossible with current display input standards.
Old April 8, 2016, 12:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Bumping this thread to know if anyone bought one of these lately? From what I've been reading around the web, it seems like the "new" batch (feb '16) has proper quality control now with few people reporting problems. I played on one at the canada computers near my place and its definitely something. Was originally waiting for the asus one, but now that it's out I'm not sure paying a 300$ asus tax is worth it. Aren't they using the same LG panel?
Old April 8, 2016, 02:03 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

OMG that panel is ridiculus at $1900. Not sure but it has the same 100Hz panel and better looks.
Old April 9, 2016, 10:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

After almost a month of debating getting the monitor I finally bought one this morning. It was on special today so good thing I waited. I was surprise to see it on special actually. Anyways, after several hours gaming with the monitor I can say that it's awesome. I played on one they had on demo at my local Canada Computers for 2-3 minutes about two weeks ago just to try it a bit and it was definitely awesome, but taking the time to game on it at home makes it shine even more.

Biggest thing for me is G-Sync, seriously, I just can't believe the difference G-Sync makes. Everything is silky smooth, no more tearing, no more stutters, all that crap is GONE! I seriously didn't think G-Sync makes such a difference. Especially tonight was a good night to try it since I was raiding with my guild in Black Desert. Framerates drops significantly during some of the battles but even when that happened, gameplay stayed super smooth and I couldn't believe how smooth it was even in the low 30s. I can really see the benefits of G-Sync for MMOs since FPS jumps all over the place in those games depending on what's happening the screen with the number of players, mobs, particles effects, etc - it really smooths the game play significantly.

The 21:9 format is also awesome. The extra FOV really makes a difference immersion wise and I feel it makes for a way more "natural" experience. The curve is pretty discreet and pretty ideal IMO. On the QC side of things the monitor is pristine. Played bunch of games at 100hz and no issues, bleed is almost non-existent, just a little bit of it on the top bezel near the right corner but its really minimal. Coating is honestly one of the best I've seen. I got a window right behind me and it was super sunny today with the sun almost right in the screen and I could keep playing no issues. OSD is meh but I don't find it as bad as reported in most of the reviews, I've seen worse tbh.

My girlfriend made me feel better when we were walking out of the store to the car, she said "well its not that bad, it's cheaper than my macbook" LOL

I'll be doing some more gaming prolly all day tomorrow so I'll report back after trying different types of games.
Old April 10, 2016, 01:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for the post Groove. I was wondering how your 980 would handle it since I also have a 980. I was hoping to hear that the 980 combined with G-Sync would work out well even at the high res as I am thinking of one of these or similar at some point in my future.

If you'll excuse me, I am going back to counting my nickels now...
Old April 10, 2016, 01:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I wonder what would be a good 1440p Free sync monitor. somewhere between 24-27"