Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2016, 08:58 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default BenQ XR3501 Curved 35" 144Hz Monitor Review Comment Thread

Massive curved gaming monitors seem to be the flavor of the day and BenQ's XR3501 may be one of the most insane. It boasts a 35" curved MVA panel with a 144Hz refresh rate.

Read more here: BenQ XR3501 Curved 35" 144Hz Monitor Review
Old January 19, 2016, 06:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Gotta admit this one perplexes me. Sure 144Hz is nice, but 35" at 1080p? That I just don't get, and for that price? Agree with the last para in the review; massive hill to climb indeed. This one won't be added to my wishlist.

Can't remember but did you review an ultrawide flat panel? Just curious, most of the HWC reviews for these panels praise the curve for immersion in games of certain types but then state that they have issues presenting straight line content, menues, spreadsheets, etc. in day to day use. We are seeing less of the flat ultrawides now, curved is the sexy trend, but overall would a flat be a better choice? Trade off some of the ingame immersion for better functional across tasks overall while still maintaining an improved wide gaming experience?
Old January 19, 2016, 06:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I personally believe, in my humble opinion, that people are far too caught up in high resolution. Who can actually afford to build a PC that can handle super high res now a days anyways? At least this res gives people without champagne budgets a chance to get into a large curved monitor.

Old January 19, 2016, 07:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

True, personally though at that size 1080 would kill me.. Hate it on a friends tv (he uses as a monitor) that is 32". I find 27" to be the limit for 1080 as a monitor but even then I prefer 1440 to UHD or QHD as I still don't think there is a need for it in either content or graphics power. Lets hope the next round of GPU's are revolutionary rather than evolutionary.

Meanwhile with monitors I personally feel the market is moving far too fast to advise anyone that doesn't need or have the cash to blow and thats the area they want to blow it, to buy a monitor right now.

My money is on a fast 32" 16:9 144hz g/free-sync OLED at 1440. Probably flat and not curved for me.
Sure I've been waiting years for monitors to be priced and be as good as I want them(144hz gsync ips...) but for value for money, I'll wait and see when it starts to slow down in a year or 2 so that I don't get buyers remorse.. My screens tend to last me 5-7 years and it's coming up on time my U2310h was being retired(sold on or passed on) but I don't see myself being happy with any purchase I could make today in even 2 years with OLED on the horizon of being widely available in multiple products.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"

Last edited by Dzzope; January 19, 2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old January 19, 2016, 07:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I personally believe, in my humble opinion, that people are far too caught up in high resolution. Who can actually afford to build a PC that can handle super high res now a days anyways? At least this res gives people without champagne budgets a chance to get into a large curved monitor.
This.

I'm very happy to be gaming at 1080p/24" monitor, I don't need a ultra high-end card to have everything running smooth, graphics are still damn good looking.

But 1080p @ 35"... that's big...
Old January 19, 2016, 08:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Well I guess I have a "champagne budget" system but it was saved up over the years and parts replaced as I went. I ran my i7 920 for almost 6 years I believe until I went with my current system and then went used for my current video card. So it is possible to build a high end system over time. Also my brother-in-law's GTX 970 system handles his 1440p monitor without issue, and that card is attainable by a lot of folks, no everyone I realise, CAD exchange notwithstanding.

I certainly don't have any issue with 1080p gaming. Did it for years and was very happy. I have the 1440p monitor now and my current system, certainly in the higher end I admit, runs everything at 1440p really well. My big concern with this reviewed monitor is that I don't think I would want to sit close up to a 1080p 35" monitor. I think the pixels would be way too visible for my taste. And the other issue is that it gets into the >$1000 range with no GSync/FreeSync tech. With the pace of monitor change as Dzzope mentioned that really seems like money wasted to me.

So not crapping on 1080p at all. I just don't think 1080p in this form factor is a good choice, ultrawide or not. I agree that 1080p on a 27" would likely be my threshold for that res in a PC usage scenario sitting close to it.
Old January 19, 2016, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have a feeling Freesync will end up on this monitor in the near future if it isn't able to be used currently.

That being said, I can't find a single reason to buy this.

Want MVA / 120hz? Get an Eizo Foris FG2421 instead.
Want widescreen? Get 3x 1920x1080p panels instead. Take your pick of refresh rate/panel type, it will still cost you the same or more likely less.

The pricing is absurd, you have the XB270HU/XB271HU/PG279Q priced below this, without even mentioning the cheaper freesync options both Acer and Asus provide, and you have the Acer X34 / upcoming Asus PG348Q priced only slightly above this that give a proper 34" 3440x1440 resolution and gsync... if you're looking for something in specific, there's literally a better choice in every category.

Old January 19, 2016, 05:29 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Not really though. The low resolution here accomplishes....nothing. It doesn't allow for the addition of FreeSync or G-SYNC. It doesn't add an IPS panel. And it hits within 10% of similar monitors that have some of those features AND higher resolutions.
Old January 19, 2016, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1080 on a screen that size and aspect ratio seems too low. Sure when you're trying to push 120+hz, 1080 is defintely less taxing on the gpu than 1440.

But really, no GSync or Freesync, meeeeehhhhhh. If I'm going to shell out for a new 21:9 monitor anytime soon, I'd want it to have at least one of those not to mention be IPS.
Old January 19, 2016, 08:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Personally soemthing like this would have to really cover all the bases for me to replace a very good editing/ movie monitor and a gaming monitor beside it. @ 35 inches there would be no room left for another panel so it really couldnt fall short in any department especially at a 1k.

Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.