Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 19, 2015, 07:57 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default LG 34UC87C Curved Monitor Review Comment Thread

Are curved monitors the next big thing? LG would certainly like to convince you their massive $1000, 34" 34UC87C is a perfect solution for gaming, movies and content creation.

Read (and watch) more here: LG 34UC87C Curved Monitor Review
Old October 19, 2015, 08:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

where is the information about curved vs flat screen? like this Curved vs Flat TVs: Is the curve worth it?..

and need more pictures of angle view fromboth movie and gaming... i know you have to find a sweet spot to watch... but the curved one will never show a prefect straight line at side of monitor....
NEW: customize case, XFX 750W, i7 4770k, supreme hf, GA-Z87X-OC Force, 16gb gskill ripjaws 2133mhz , xfx hd6950 CF. 128gb intel 520, wd blue and toshiba 1tb, mcp355 + EK-XRES , 2x ar697, 2x PXM360, 12x AC F12 fans, 12 x shroud, STT 123W fan filter. 2442.88CDN
OLD: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
Old October 20, 2015, 04:52 AM

What information? Anthony stated many times that straight lines weren't straight and that there's a very specific zone for proper viewing without image degradation.
Old October 20, 2015, 06:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

"...faster than deep fried bacon wrapped bacon strips at the Calgary Stampede." Nice

Really appreciated this review. Thanks. I really love this 34" high res curved trend and would happily upgrade from my 27" 1440p if it weren't for the price! I don't even disagree that spending a lot on a monitor is a good investment; I would actually make the same argument to others! But parting with that $1200-1300 CDN + tax is killer. And as was mentioned in the review the lack of G-Sync is a hard one for this model. If I am spending that much, and I am hoping to keep it for a bunch of years, not unreasonable for a very good monitor, then G-Sync is something that is definitely going to be on my list of desired options.

And then muddying the waters is the approaching VR headsets. Ultrawide high res monitors would be nice for a wider range of tasks, but already owning a 27" 1440p monitor perhaps it makes sense to spend $300-400 US on a Rift or Vive for a move towards really immersive gaming. Dunno... it's a tough choice.
Old October 20, 2015, 06:26 AM

I think there's a few distinctions to may in the monitors versus VR headsets debate. I'm a firm believer that VR is the future but I have yet to experience a headset (Oculus, etc.) that didn't give me a splitting headache after 30 minutes or so of use. Color rendition and overall resolution on those things is also poor at best.

All of that will improve over the course of 4-5 years (or more) but until that point I think large scale 4K monitors will be one of the best solutions around. The benefit of the curve is debatable in some applications but when it comes to immersion in shooters, racing games and especially games like Elite Dangerous these panels are second to none.
Old October 20, 2015, 06:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I think there's a few distinctions to may in the monitors versus VR headsets debate. I'm a firm believer that VR is the future but I have yet to experience a headset (Oculus, etc.) that didn't give me a splitting headache after 30 minutes or so of use. Color rendition and overall resolution on those things is also poor at best.

All of that will improve over the course of 4-5 years (or more) but until that point I think large scale 4K monitors will be one of the best solutions around. The benefit of the curve is debatable in some applications but when it comes to immersion in shooters, racing games and especially games like Elite Dangerous these panels are second to none.
I agree with those reservations about VR. The other thing that gets me about them is just the impractical form factor in the sense that once it's on I can't see anything else! Elite Dangerous is certainly the big draw for me right now for a monitor upgrade to provide increased immersion, and even though I have a HOTAS setup that I don't have to look at I still type in star system names to plot routes to, text chat with players I come across in game, etc. What do you do in that case with a Rift on your head? Seems very impractical for everything outside the actual flying. The things you mentioned and this impractical issue pulls me back to the monitor upgrade camp over VR.

And then I have recently seen the positive reviews from Wendell on TekSyndicate of some Korean 4K 40" monitors and even the CDN price on eBay is pretty decent relatively speaking. That is tempting too because 4K at 40" seems about right to me; I couldn't read 4K on 27". But then you are still, I believe, in the 16:9 aspect ratio and not the wide. And of course could my 980 Classified push 4K in a satisfying way for games? Seems like possibly not based on a lot of reviews and comments. I don't want to return to SLI.
Old October 20, 2015, 01:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The Dell U3415W routinely goes on sale for $999CAD (it is currently). Plus Dell has financing ;)

AFAIK all these 34" curved displays are using the same LG panel, so performance, colour, etc are all about the same across the board. The only real differences are the stand, OSD, and input choices.

Even Acer's G-SYNC model is using the same panel apparently, just overclocked.
Old October 20, 2015, 06:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
The Dell U3415W routinely goes on sale for $999CAD (it is currently). Plus Dell has financing ;)

AFAIK all these 34" curved displays are using the same LG panel, so performance, colour, etc are all about the same across the board. The only real differences are the stand, OSD, and input choices.

Even Acer's G-SYNC model is using the same panel apparently, just overclocked.
JD! I was hoping you wouldn't show up and school me again! Just kidding. Don't think Dell financing didn't cross my mind but likely not a wise choice. I don't like debt and paying extra through financing just seem unwise. The Dell doesn't have G-Sync either but it is on sale again right now for $999.99, $350 off. Anyone have an idea when the CDN dollar is going up again?

You're still pleased with your Dell 34"? Just checking. No buyers remorse wishing you had gone with G-Sync, FreeSync, ULMB, (insert additional acronyms here...)?
Old October 20, 2015, 08:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I only mentioned it because I saw your name

No regrets yet. Once there's a true 144Hz panel with G-SYNC, then I'll look at "upgrading" but I don't see that coming out anytime soon.
Old October 21, 2015, 05:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I only mentioned it because I saw your name

No regrets yet. Once there's a true 144Hz panel with G-SYNC, then I'll look at "upgrading" but I don't see that coming out anytime soon.
Arnt they already out? Acer XB270HU and Asus PG279Q have both these specs, with IPS panels...Or are you refering to 'large' 30+ inch with those specs?
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about