Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2015, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVickery View Post
You do realize that G-Sync increases the cost of the monitor by about $150-200 USD, right? Not knocking the system, but $200 is pretty expensive for a proprietary part of a monitor.
Yes, I'm aware of the costs (which will decrease as the market becomes saturated, Freesync becomes available, etc.) I purchased the $250 DIY kit for the VG248QE and it was the best PC gaming upgrade I've ever made, ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrysPCBuilds View Post
AOC offers a 24" monitor with G-Sync. Canada Computers has on sale till the 31st for $499.00

AOC G2460PG 24" G-SYNC
Right. Forgot about the AOC. AOC has started making some great panels at great prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Is this really the way forward though? Do I have to resign myself to the fact that my next monitor will probably be a downgrade in resolution?
No. G-Sync is making its way into all kinds of monitors, not just 144Hz 1080p displays. Whether it's G-Sync, Freesync or some other kind of frame-syncing technology, it will be widely adopted across many displays going forward. Frame-syncing is a game changer in any panel technology.
Old January 15, 2015, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Is this really the way forward though? Do I have to resign myself to the fact that my next monitor will probably be a downgrade in resolution?
Acer XB270HU (27", 2560x1440, IPS 144hz, Gsync)
Asus MG279Q (27", 2560x1440, IPS, 120hz, Freesync compatible)
Asus PG27AQ (27", 4K, IPS, 60hz, Gsync)

All have threads here due to announcements at CES, and a couple have some HWC related articles too.

Old January 15, 2015, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Why should freeSync not work on games right out the box on compliant monitors? But yes, it seems rather odd that they haven't done any real demos of it. Still, I don't remember nvidia being huge on anything other than their own in house demo for some time.
Old January 15, 2015, 07:35 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Why should freeSync not work on games right out the box on compliant monitors? But yes, it seems rather odd that they haven't done any real demos of it. Still, I don't remember nvidia being huge on anything other than their own in house demo for some time.
It probably does work on a lot of games already. That there are no demonstrations with games suggests it's not ready for an apples to apples comparison with gsync. At least not on that stage.

To be honest, I have forgotten a lot of what I read about gsync last year, but I recall it being a fairly comprehensive solution. I believe it's more than just nvidia's implementation of vblank. There appears to be a lot of good engineering that will be challenging for AMD to duplicate.
Old January 16, 2015, 05:52 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Even though it is a built-in spec within DisplayPort, it still requires A LOT of driver level fine tuning to work properly. NVIDIA has the luxury of being in complete control over the scaler hardware, GPU hardware and drivers which is why they have rolled G-SYNC out relatively quickly and with relatively few problems. FreeSync is unfortunately less tightly controlled which means AMD will have quite the challenge adapting their solutions to provide comparable performance across all titles.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:42 PM
Top Prospect

Does G-Sync work above 60fps? Like you can run a game fully at 144hz perfectly in sync?
Old January 20, 2015, 04:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyg5 View Post
Does G-Sync work above 60fps? Like you can run a game fully at 144hz perfectly in sync?
Believe so, see no reason it wouldn't, if it doesn't why would they put it in 120 - 144hz screens?

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old January 20, 2015, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyg5 View Post
I would think Gsync would be most active beyond 60hz since as you go up in hz the amount of GPU horsepower increases substantially and Gsync would need to sync the monitor to what they GPU can actually output at any given time.

Which brings up a curious issue, if you're running games with a high refresh monitor but your GPU just doesn't have enough oomph to out put at the refresh rate your running, there'll be times when a high-refresh rate monitor isn't worth it since the GPU is going to scale down the refresh rate anyway.

Probably not an issue if you're playing counterstrike or something, but I suspect something like Witcher 3 unless you've got SLI 980s you're not going to be pushing 120 or 144 on high or ultra settings very often.
Old January 20, 2015, 11:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My understanding is they will have min refresh rates, but the max is only limited by the screen.
Old January 20, 2015, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

"All" g-sync does is match the timing of the frames.. If anything I would think lower FPS would be more beneficial to g-sync due to the already more choppy nature compared to higher rates.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"