Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2014, 03:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default surround setup questions

I know maybe people are sick and tired of seeing this but I searched and haven't found anything too recent on surround setups. Is it going out of style? I ask because I am looking to trying it out but I am a little conflicted as to what monitors to buy as reviews and experiences vary so widely.

I would like to see what opinions and experiences people would have and possibly some alternatives. I know I saw someone recommend a 21:9 monitor instead. If I was to go surround I would want thin bezels and IPS displays with of course good colors and blacks and what not. I would like to shoot for 5ms g2g.

Running all this I will be using 2 gtx 970's, would like a 3rd but this mobo doesn't have the lanes to do it and I checked the benchmarks and I think for current titles it is enough to push 5760x1080.
Old September 24, 2014, 04:56 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

So the answers here are both complicated and easy.

To begin with, you don't see many folks talking about Surround simply because the conversation has moved on to 4K and the like. To many, a single large high resolution display is more widely beneficial than three smaller ones. In addition, with the costs of 4K panels coming down very quickly, three smaller displays could arguably cost more as well.

The 2x GTX 970 won't have any issues with the content of three 1080P displays. The trick is to find the right screens. 5ms g2g isn't easy to find in IPS to begin with but combine that with a slim bezel and you really start running out of options. I would have said Dell's new U2414H but that has an 8ms g2g response rate. Maybe ASUS' MX279H? But again, now you're getting very expensive for three monitors.
Old September 24, 2014, 05:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As said above, what your looking for is gonna either cost or possibly give worse results than a single screen.

If your looking at 21:9, then look for x1440 rather than 1080, the extra depth is worth it. Linus did a good review of an LG unit (and actually I think is due to do a surround setup on them thanks to LG sending him more screens..)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old September 24, 2014, 03:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thank you for the replies. I did have my mind set on U2414H but I had the same thought where I could get a 4k display cheaper and that was what caused me to create this thread.

It is useful having 3 screens and having a wider field of view but it seems 4k is really the next thing. I am still unsure what direction I should take. Right now I am looking at the Acer H236HL if I was to go with surround, it is only 140$ each on newegg and would be 420+shipping. The MX279H also looks like a good one for surround but I think the 23 inch version would be better for surround. But now I could be getting a 4k or good 1440p monitor for the price to setup surround.

I guess this is impossible for you guys to really tell me what I should get because I dont even know what I want in the first place. I just want to know what you guys would get if you were in my position or what experiences you have had with 3 monitor setups or if it is worth it to just get a single higher res monitor.

Last edited by ravenger; September 24, 2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old September 25, 2014, 12:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Personally for gaming I prefer 1 screen. For productivity I like as many or as high a res as I can get. It's expensive but check out these for an opinion I can totaly agree with (wether it's for you or not you need to decide)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0i7FjwteQE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrxNfxRK_4

I'm tempted by exactly 2 monitors at the moment to replace my old u2311h.. 1 is the LG34" above and second is the ASUS ROG 27" 2560x1440 Gsync panel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdqTIfNv2DE

That said, it will be paid for by Air-France as they damaged my U2713h.. (still waiting on money from em... but they are busy with strikes right now)

But all of these are not the cheap option...

Last edited by Dzzope; September 25, 2014 at 12:54 AM.
Old September 25, 2014, 02:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wow, that LG 34 made me drool a little bit. Unfortunately that is digging a bit too deep into my wallet. After further research I have decided to go with a single monitor setup instead of 3.

seeing 21:9 really finally pushed me over the edge on my decision. It is freaking awesome looking, I really really really want that LG 34. Back to reality, I will likely get a 2560x1440 monitor, though I am going to be keeping my eye on the 21:9 monitors.

I would go with the swift but I want an IPS monitor not a TN. I heard the colors were good for a TN but it is a TN, although that 144hz 1ms response time at 1440p is really really tempting as well. It could be a few weeks until i actually pull the trigger on a purchase so until then I will keep my eyes open.
Old September 25, 2014, 03:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Should also mention that the amount of games that support surround compared to just say 4K is quite low as a lot of developers never really jumped on the three display gaming. Those that did, some only gave half ass support.
Old September 25, 2014, 08:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As pointed out in Linus's vid re custom resolutions. And something the LG handles well.

From what I've heard the colours on the Asus are excellent and beat many of the cheaper IPS panels. The only thing about it for me is the viewing angles but then I'm going to be keeping my u2713hm for web / media / editing.
The big thing for me is I love first person shooters but have had worse and worse skills since moving from CRT... I played on a friend lightboost screen and thats it... I need a fast monitor in my life..
I just wish there was 2560x1440 (hell 1920x1200 as in some FPS's I find it hard to be accurate with really small targets) 27" IPS with sub 5ms gtg, 120hz+ and gsync.. That would be gaming heaven