Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2014, 09:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ahh, I wasn't following this closely so I didn't know it had a separate ULMB mode for backlight strobing. I thought this was going to be a purely G-sync focused monitor since the technologies can't be used together with current implementations. Excellent news that pretty much cements me getting one as well. Hopefully I can get over it being a TN.

Old June 6, 2014, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
It will be in YEARS. Not months.

Remember, this does absolutely nothing to address signal sync (not to be confused with monitor synchronization) between the output device and the monitor. Nor does it address input lag.

Yes there are parallels between G-SYNC and Adaptive Sync but their end results won't be necessarily comparable.
Quote:
Q: When can I buy a monitor compatible with Project FreeSync?
A: AMD has undertaken every necessary effort to enable Project FreeSync in the display ecosystem. Monitor vendors are now integrating the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync specification and productizing compatible displays. AMD is working closely with these vendors to bring products to market, and we expect compatible monitors within 6-12 months.
Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/how-displayport-adaptive-sync-relates-to-amds-project-freesync_141709#txkXCT1RVYVqBzkg.99

Quote:
Q: Why should gamers purchase a system that utilizes Project FreeSync?
A: Project FreeSync’s ability to synchronize the refresh rate of a display to the framerate of a graphics card can eliminate visual artifacts that many gamers are especially sensitive to: screen tearing, input lag, and stuttering. Project FreeSync aims to accomplish this through an open ecosystem that does not require licensing fees from participants, which encourages broad adoption and low end-user costs.
Read more at How DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync Relates To AMD?s Project FreeSync - Legit Reviews
/shrug
Old June 6, 2014, 02:33 PM
Top Prospect

Hey this is all good news, in the unlikely event that this is true from AMD. I'd love to see Nvidia get knocked down a peg or two.
Old June 6, 2014, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
Ahh, I wasn't following this closely so I didn't know it had a separate ULMB mode for backlight strobing. I thought this was going to be a purely G-sync focused monitor since the technologies can't be used together with current implementations. Excellent news that pretty much cements me getting one as well. Hopefully I can get over it being a TN.
At this time, G-Sync and ULMB are exclusive. However, G-Sync monitors have a dedicated ULMB mode, which vastly outperforms Lightboost hacks and can be toggled with a monitor button, at least on the G-Sync VG248QE.

As soon as you experience G-Sync, you'll be over the fact it's a TN panel. Besides, this ASUS TN will likely outperform entry level IPS panels anyways. I've seen a few regular TN panels better than entry level IPS panels, so this premium TN panel should be good.
Old June 6, 2014, 03:54 PM

My System Specs

I wouldn't say ulmb is better. On the VG248QE, colours are better by default. However Lightboost at 10% brightness is quicker than ulmb. BenQ's regular backlight strobing is actually faster than ulmb on Asus displays too.
Old June 8, 2014, 04:36 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Finally now can ditch this playstation tv lol 23" of terrible pc gaming. Ment more for ps3 id guess. Can't wait to get this Beauty.

Last edited by Shadowarez; June 9, 2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old July 1, 2014, 12:27 PM
Rookie

Definitely getting one of these monitors.

Some think its over priced..But it is 2560x 1440 and 27" , it is 144hz refresh and Gsync enabled. Thats not a bad price for the package.

the advantage i think is this monitor will help extend GPU upgrades.People upgrade GPU's when they can no longer play a game at high settings and hold a stable playable FPS rate. This will smooth that out and make 40 fps glass smooth is you dip that far.

i'm just surprised Nvidia is releasing a tech that could cut into its GPU sales in the long term..

But as soon as this monitor hits for sale im pulling the trigger.