Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 3, 2014, 01:19 PM
Top Prospect

I'd rather have 2560x1440 at 120+ Hz than 4K at 60hz, however if the 2560x1440K panels do not come down in price then I may have to 'suffer' with a 4K panel at a lower refresh. TBH I have managed for the last few years with a 6ms 2560x1440 DellU2711, a change will be good either way, as long as it is within my budget....
Old June 3, 2014, 01:33 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I'm really not a convert to 4K gaming. Give me a fast, stutter free, 1440P IPS panel and I happy as a pig in shit.
Old June 3, 2014, 02:29 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Give me a 4k 10bit IPS based monitor WITH G-sync and I will be as happy as a pig in shit. TN needs to just...stop. Budget panels...sure...maybe. But with decent VA, PLS and IPS to choose from...there is no need for TN in the 4k $800 range except greed. Hell give customers a 6-bit IPS with Gsync for 8 bills and you will see it fly off the shelves. Honestly until they combine Gsync with IPS...I'm waiting out the early 4K craze.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 3, 2014, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Talking about budget 4k monitors.. whats the point, you'll need to spend a fortune on GPU's for the next xx years to run the bloody thing.. Not to mention everything you watch will have to be so high res you'll need huge storage / bandwidth etc for it to not look terrible. Can't say I see the point of 4k outside of gimmicks and producers / designers. Not yet anyway. Same as 3D IMO, pure gimmick. (apart from screen space for productivity)

Gimmie PLS / IPS 1440 @120hz and gsync for under 8 bills and I'll be very happy. If it doesn't come close to the colours I have now I'll wait till they catch-up.

That said, still waiting for AirFrance to get back to me after damaging my U2713hm. :( So I may have budget for a new screen sooner than I thought.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; June 3, 2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old June 3, 2014, 06:01 PM
Top Prospect

I dont find the colors on my benq to awful. Not great, but not horrific. Honestly when im playing games im not stopping in the middle to say jesus ... the colors of that tank I just t-bagged are terrible.
Old June 3, 2014, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTC View Post
Honestly when im playing games im not stopping in the middle to say jesus ... the colors of that tank I just t-bagged are terrible.
Too true.

I appreciate the fidelity of IPS. I had a Samsung 24" IPS panel that was to die for...till it died. But when gaming I really didn't care about fidelity, I cared about head shots. I'm willing to give a high quality TN panel a go.

I've been stuck using my 52" 1080p TV for the last year and I WANT OUT!
Old June 3, 2014, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Same as 3D IMO, pure gimmick. (apart from screen space for productivity)
Some people say that 3D is actually quite a boon while playing online shooters such as BF3. I need to try it before I call it a gimmick.

Edit: Also, I think people should read the TR review before knee jerking.
Quote:
After calibration, the PB287Q represents colors slightly more accurately overall than the IPS-based PB278
I think I'll wait till the VESA DPe (Adaptive Sync) is implemented on 4K first though.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; June 3, 2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old June 4, 2014, 03:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Some people say that 3D is actually quite a boon while playing online shooters such as BF3. I need to try it before I call it a gimmick.
Very few use it in game and for TV it's definitely a gimmick. I know 4 - 5 people with 3d tv's and none of them used it after a couple of months. Only time the glasses come out is if there is someone visiting and they wanna try it out. But then even thats stopped as it's not so rare now.

As for 4k, it's a gimmick for now for gaming and for movie watching. Until they have the material recorded in a suitable res and Dual gpu's can reliably produce over 60 fps in even the top games, it's a gimmick.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old June 4, 2014, 06:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
As for 4k, it's a gimmick for now for gaming and for movie watching. Until they have the material recorded in a suitable res and Dual gpu's can reliably produce over 60 fps in even the top games, it's a gimmick.
Crossfired 290x's will do ~60FPS fairly consistently depending on the settings. And for games that don't cough Crysis3 cough you can reduce the resolution down to 1440p.
Old June 4, 2014, 06:42 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The problem I have noticed in quite a few titles is FOV being way out of wack when playing in 4K.

For the time being, I'll stick to my 27" Ultrasharp IPS. ;)