Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27, 2014, 01:19 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

A used 30 is an option I suppose. The rift is an interesting idea I hadn't considered though... But like others I can't handle certain 3D effects in movies - I don't know if the rift would be the same way.
Old May 27, 2014, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ive got a 27" 2560x1440 and love it. I'm highly susceptable to the motion/fullness issue mentioned earlier. I have no problems with a 27" but obviously everyone is different.

People that are overly sensitive to latency will have a problem with the rift. I have a friend that has a gen 1 rift. The lag is stated at 60 or 70 ms, and I cant wear the thing for longer then about 1 or 2 min before my body starts saying "something is wrong!". Apparently even the CEO of Occulus has the same problem and he says that the gen 2 Rift will drop latency down to 25-30ms. It'll be interesting to see if there is a break point where my body moving and the image moving is fast enough that I dont feel like puking. Dont get me wrong, I love the rift. I just love not puking more haha.

If they get that figured out, Id go immersion with a Occulus Rift for sure and never look back to a monitor.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 27, 2014, 03:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

1680x1050 for 22-24inch 1920x1080 or x1100/1200 25-27 for the higher x numbers and 30 inchers I wouldn't go below 2560x1200 though x1440 is of course better.

Pixel pitch, density of the pixels of course matter, a big screen is nice of course, but I have noticed for myself many times with folks that have larger screens the resolution is great for clarity and outright stunning looks but it really sux balls when it comes to many menus for everything cause often it seems they just become to hard to see not to mention a big screen has to be far enough away to not burn out your eyes and such.

Wont be long before there will be a slew of different Rift choices out there, sony, google, oculus, microsoft to name a few all have there own take on what they would like to do, the more of them working towards it, the better in regards to quality of the units and/or pricing, cause I myself would like a monitor that I wear and will probably be so much easier to drive those tiny screens compared to these monster monitors, and maybe could even encompass a multi-monitor type approach for say racing games and such that extra side screens could help the immersion.

Eventually I hope they have a projected image in a room so you can play the game ala holodeck type thing, but said Rift will be much less costly then many of the monitors driving the same high resolutions, though lag sux I imagine for most game types it wont matter as much if it doesn't make you empty your lunch on your lap :P

Last edited by Dragonstongue; May 27, 2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old May 27, 2014, 03:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure what your price range is, but the 29" Dell Ultrawide is on sale today: Dell UltraSharp 29 Ultrawide Monitor - U2913WM : Parts & Upgrades | Dell Canada

It's only 2560x1080 so I'd imagine the fonts will be on the bigger side but at least you have the horizontal space to runs 2 things side-by-side.
Old May 27, 2014, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^I really can't picture liking the 21:9 profile of ultrawide monitors, except for document work (two windows side by side).

Last edited by Bond007; May 27, 2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old May 27, 2014, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd say get a higher resolution than 1080p if you are going for a larger monitor. Just my vote.
Old May 27, 2014, 06:00 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

TBH...if you are going to go for a 21:9...go BIG or go home...and get a 4K 21:9 monitor...and never look back. Will absolutely suck for gaming but for documets and the such they are insanely good (something that I could never say about the 29" non4K ultrawides).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 28, 2014, 03:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I have tried it and I didn't like it. It caused me headaches as there was too much screen for me.
I don't get this, 30" is 30", resolution is just how clear the image will be. The more dots you squeeze in the sharper the image (can potentially) be. If going that big I would look at either 1920x1200 (for 27" as a min, it's actually pretty damn good though not a touch on 2560x1440) or 2560x1600 on 30"

Budget will be your limiting factor.

If you just need more screen real-estate then try a pair of 24"

As said before the high-res screens tendency to make things smaller can be easily countered by increasing font sizes etc etc. Try before you buy is the main thing.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"