Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25, 2014, 07:45 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

VESA has implemented and ratified a variable refresh rate standard in DP 1.2A. Yes that means u get variable refresh without paying a stupid fee for gsync.

My prediction is that radeon pro will enable this feature far far before catalyst control center

The death spiral of Nvidia?s G-Sync has begun

To me this gsync module is the same thing as that stupid physx card. An extra way to price gouge. This is why I have zero brand loyalty. I want a market in which there is a strong nvidia and a strong ati so that they push each other to always improve both performance and price per performance.
Old May 25, 2014, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unless we actually will see any real hardware supporting the variable refresh rate for monitor in the next year, I will totally buy this. Running a single 780 classified will struggle with 4k in some scenarios, so only way I can get 4k without having to mess around with in game settings.
Old May 25, 2014, 05:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
VESA has implemented and ratified a variable refresh rate standard in DP 1.2A. Yes that means u get variable refresh without paying a stupid fee for gsync.

To me this gsync module is the same thing as that stupid physx card. An extra way to price gouge. This is why I have zero brand loyalty. I want a market in which there is a strong nvidia and a strong ati so that they push each other to always improve both performance and price per performance.
Perhaps you missed the irony, but in one paragraph you excoriate Nvidia for introducing technology that pushed ATI to push VESA to ratify variable refresh rates over DisplayPort, and in the next paragraph you claim you want a market where Nvidia and ATI push each other to improve technological performance.

Shouldn't you be thanking Nvidia for creating the market environment you hold in high regard?
Old August 5, 2014, 07:29 AM
Top Prospect

Eh it's between this and the 1440p 144hz Gsync from Asus!
Old September 4, 2014, 02:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

What video card do I need to drive these 4k monitors? I just put in an order for R9 280x. Next year, I'll replace my 10 yr old Dell 24" monitor. I do not do game much, but do photo editing on it. Would my new R9 280x good enough for this job?
Old October 17, 2014, 02:05 PM
Rookie

280x you will likely have to crank down some detail settings for 4k.